Chapter 12

I took an exceptionally long shower, just to avoid Alec. The thought of having to sleep with him in my room scared me. He was capable of choosing girls to die. What would the difference be if he just killed one now?

I shook the thought away. I'd be okay. He wouldn't kill me, and even if he did I suppose it'd be for the better because all the other girls are officially against me anyways. What really stung was that Makayla believed them and-

Makayla! She gave me a note. I hurried out of the shower, ignoring my screaming body. I had shoved the note in my shorts and forgotten all about it. When I grabbed my shorts, I searched fervently and found the paper on the ground next to them. My heart was thudding so hard in my chest I felt it in my fingertips.

Austen, it's an act. We had to keep you with the psychopath because his attention on you gives us time to figure something else out. I'll show you the way to the library tomorrow. Sorry for the bruises. Get some sleep.

-Trisha

I snarled and crumpled the note up.

Makayla and Marisa must believe that this was the best route. I know Trisha is a heck of an arguer but beating me up seemed a bit extreme. It was almost like she continually got me in trouble. I shook my head. There was no way I was going to work with her anymore.

I didn't care if Marisa did, right now I didn't even care if Makayla wanted to. Trisha beating me up like she did, did nothing for me but weaken me for tomorrow. She wasn't helping anyone and she was lying to herself if she thought she was. Maybe I should put her in Alec's favorite spot.

Swearing, I threw the note in the toilet and flushed it before starting the horrible task of getting my clothes on. It was during this time that I saw the extent of the wounds Trisha had given me. Besides the splitting headache that was coming on, I had horrifying bruises on my ribs and my face was swelling, my eye already green and blue.

I just shook my head and headed out to my room. Alec was sitting against my door, his head leaning against the metal with an alarmingly calm face. I swallowed the lump in my throat and walked towards my laundry basket. Alec watched me carefully, never saying a word. I was tempted to tell him to stop, but he'd do as he pleased anyways.

"Why didn't you fight back harder?" Alec finally asks me. I ignore him and walk to my bed, pulling the covers back. He doesn't ask the question again, but I can feel his stare. It makes me cringe.

"I haven't slept in about twenty four hours. I've had the worst possible day of my life. My stomach was empty. And the person that I thought would stand up for me, punched me in the face. I don't know how anyone would have anything to fight for." I say finally. Alec clenches his jaw and I look over his thick figure, feeling my stomach drop.

"You didn't want to be strong enough to face another day?" His question bothers me. I don't know why, but it does.

"I don't think being strong has anything to deal with tomorrow." I lower myself slowly into the bed, cursing Trisha as my body yelled at me for taking such a beating.

"You don't think being at your full potential tomorrow, both mentally and physically, has any way of helping you?" Alec seems intrigued now and I just want this conversation to end.

"No. I don't." I close my eyes.

"Why?" Sighing, I turn my head to face him and look him over carefully from the comfort of the bed.

"Because it doesn't matter if I tried to kill myself tomorrow. It wouldn't happen. Even if I specifically didn't listen to the instructions. It wouldn't matter. I'd live if you hadn't chosen me. And if I listened to the instructions, you'd still kill me if you had chosen me."