Chapter 17

I sat on Alec's bed, staring at the wall in front of me. He was in the shower and I'd been told to remain seated. I wasn't against that order, but I was afraid to move a muscle, scared of what he would do to me. Alec confused me.

There had been no sign of Alex or Trisha and I was grateful for that. My mind wandered to Makayla and I wondered if she'd gotten out with that other girl. I lowered my head to look at my lap.

What if they were caught? What if they couldn't get out? What if they did get out?

"Darling." Alec's voice makes me jump. He's standing in front of me. I could've sworn he was just in the shower. My eyes meet his and then I look back at my lap. "Darling, don't turn from me, please." Alec kneels down and I feel his hands on my thighs. "Please." He's whispering now.

I look up at his grey eyes, seeing his wet hair fall messily on his forehead and create small vines in his eyes. My breath caught in my throat. Alec's hand moved up my side to cup my cheek gently.

"Can I do anything to make you more comfortable?" He asks soothingly. I'm tempted to make a smart remark but I simply allow myself to relax into his comforting touch and feel a stray tear slip down my cheek. "Darling," Alec wipes the tear with the pad of his thumb but I turn from him again.

"I just need a minute." I say quietly. Alec straightens and sighs, knotting his hands in the towel he held. He was contemplating.

"I need to go clear something up, I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?" He offers. I nod. Alec leaves the room and I allow myself to relax completely.

I hated him.

Alec was so aggravating. He was worse than Alexander. Alex I could immediately hate because he didn't have a soft side, a caring side that showed he was still human somewhere in there. Alec did.

I'd grown to hate Alec more and more as time went on. His favoritism ruined me of all good thoughts I could have ever had for him. I lay down on the bed and take in deep breaths. It smells like him in here.

I swear under my breath as I sit back up. My hands were bandaged and put in casts that basically rendered me useless. It was probably the reason Alec did it to me. I could barely move anything on my hands and if I had to open a door I don't know that I'd be able to.

I readjust myself on Alec's bed and roll over to see his desk. The book from the library was sitting wide open. My eyes widened and I sat back up, glancing at the door, expecting Alec to come in. I decided to risk it and I stood, looking over the book.

The pages were a deep black. There weren't any words visible to my eye and it frustrated me. How could Alec read when- glasses- he was wearing the glasses. I search the top of the desk, and not finding any glasses I lay back down on the bed. I didn't want to be the person that was caught.

Alec comes in a few minutes later, the glasses hanging from his shirt, taunting me. He didn't have those when he left which meant he just got them. I swallow my words as Alec pauses in the doorway. He sees my stare but he's returning it with his own. I shift uncomfortably.

"Are you feeling better, Darling?" Alec asks, placing another book next to the one on the desk. I turn my head to look at him and he shuts the sacred book I needed to read. He places the glasses on top and turns to face me, his actions inconspicuous to any other eye.

"Not really, but I'll be fine." I sit up and Alec looks me over. He turns away from me suddenly and I don't question it. He'd been looking at my hands.

"Darling, do you know where Makayla is?" Alec was turned away from me, facing the wall. I stared at his shoulders, noticing their carefully molded form through his shirt.