Chapter 19

The familiar dinner table didn't seem so familiar anymore. There was an emptiness both in the seats and in myself. I couldn't focus as I sat as far from Alec as possible. He had noticed the space, but hadn't said anything.

I couldn't get it out of my head.

The loud boom.
The snap as her head flew back.
The thud as she landed on the ground.
The silence that followed.

I couldn't get it out of my head.

There were only three of us left.

I'd done the math. I was here for three games, that's six girls. I'd been absent for two games. That should have been ten girls, but I was informed Alec only killed one each day. That was only eight girls.

Technically Trisha wasn't even a part of the girls and was therefore not qualified. Makayla and the other girl were still missing. So eleven out of the fourteen girls were gone.

None of us sat next to each other. A girl named Katherine was staring at the table, a couple chairs to my left. She didn't move. The other girl, whose name I learned was Lauren, was twirling her noodles on her fork, but never moving them from the plate. Alec was eating his food easily, taking large bites as though he were ravished. I could do nothing but stare.

"Now ladies, since we have the unfortunate pleasure of having a girl be disqualified, tomorrow will determine the winner. I believe you all have a long night ahead of you and lots to take in. However, just to make things more interesting, you are not confined to your rooms tonight and nothing is set up to trap you until morning." Alec stands and looks over us. I'm the only one who returns eye contact.

"Why?" I ask. Alec frowns at my question.

"I'm sorry, Darling, could you elaborate?" He acts as though he doesn't understand.
I just shake my head. "You can't elaborate or you don't wish to?" Alec asks, digging under my skin.

"I don't wish to." I snap. He flinched at the coldness in my tone. Alec takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly.

"As you wish." Then he straightens his back and turns, leaving us at the table. Lauren finally puts her fork down and she turns to me. 

"Get me out of here." She begs. My eyes widen. She starts shaking uncontrollably and Katherine immediately engulfs her in a hug and they embrace each other. I feel my heart increase in pain as I watch them. "Is there any w-way you c-could-" the girls was sobbing and Katherine soothed her before giving me a look.

"I need both of you to listen closely. There is absolutely nothing I can do..." I scoot closer. My words are lies and they notice because they watch intently as I come closer. I had devised a plan and I intended to make it work. "Absolutely nothing I can do." I repeat. They quiet themselves.

Under a low breath I mutter the directions to the tunnel. If Makayla and the other girl were still missing then there was a chance. "You have a small window of opportunity." I say quietly.

My eyes watch them look at me with gratefulness. "I'm sorry that I can't help
you." I say firmly once more. Then I too leave, heading for the library.

Never once did I hesitate in my mission. I was given reign of the house for whatever reason, and I intended to use it. As I entered the library I saw Alec sitting at his desk. He looked up as I entered and frowned.

"You're not allowed in here." Alec says firmly. I chuckle, not caring.

"I'm not allowed a lot of things." I return evenly. He doesn't say anything and I grab a book, checking the shelf for the book, before sitting on the couch next to Alec's desk. Alec shifts uncomfortably in his chair. I don't pay any mind to him.