Chapter 14

My heart stopped as I heard Alec swear above me. I didn't want to enter the long dark tunnel in front of me, but I definitely didn't want to face Alec. "Darling, please come out." Alec says quietly. Did he hear me? My eyes search the opening above me, waiting for his eyes to meet mine. They don't.

"Please, Darling." Alec's voice cracks and I shake my head. He was heartbroken but I couldn't bring myself to respond to him. Alec was silent and then I heard his footsteps receding. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and looked once more into the dark, luminous tunnel.

If Alec would have found me.... I'm not really sure what would happen. His attachment to me is frightening. I stare hard at the small concrete tunnel ahead. This could either be really good or really bad.

The tunnel is only large enough for me to crawl, which might be good because my ankle wasn't going to hold me very long. I start crawling, trying not to get claustrophobic. The door remains open behind me because if this leads to a dead end, I wanted a way out and plus... It helped me to breathe.

I started hating the tunnel as I went along because it seemed to go on forever. My hands and knees were starting to become bruised from the excessive abuse they were receiving. I tried to take even breaths to avoid thinking about the small space I was in but when I heard random clangs from up ahead, the tunnel seemed to shrink even more.

My heart was about to burst out of my chest. I felt like I'd crawled in this
horrifyingly small space for hours. My body was screaming at me and my brain was coming up with scenarios that blended my reality with a horrible nightmare. I was about to break down completely when I saw a similar door ahead of me.

My hands and knees propelled me faster, grateful for the change in scenery besides the smooth cement walls. I paused at the door, catching my breath, unsure if I wanted to open it. My mind reeled, thinking of places I could possibly be. I scolded myself for letting my thoughts consume me and opened the door, hearing it drag.

As I crawled into the sand in front of me I realized I was gasping for air. Oxygen had left me and I hadn't realized it. I looked at my surroundings, praying I wasn't in danger, and glad when I found I wasn't. Once I'd calmed myself down, and convinced myself that there was no present enemy, I started to look around.

The room I was in was huge, the far wall seemingly an endless space away. Ropes and chains that moved doors and hidden objects decorated the ceiling. The efficiency and complexity of the system astounded me. I craned my neck to see doors on the ceiling.

I must be in a basement- no. Panic once more surged through me. I just escaped this place! I didn't want to go back! My hands began to shake when I heard a small hum and the click of heels as someone was descending stairs that I couldn't see.

I hurriedly closed the door I'd climbed from and flattened the sand to the best of my ability before I scrambled behind a load of boxes. There were trinkets and mechanical pieces in the crates I hid behind, and I saw dangerously sharp objects. I gazed upon a knife and took it from its place in the box before slipping it under my shirt. My heart squeezed tightly in my chest.

"I heard something when I was-" It was Alec. Who was he talking to?

"Alec, you know I don't care about you hearing things. I only care that you find Austen." That was Alex. I snarled in disgust just at the thought of him.

"You know the only reason you want me to find her is-"

"YES!" Alex shouts. I flinch and try to get a peek. They came from a set of stairs across from me. The door that they entered from was swinging precariously and echoing in the giant room. "Go ahead, say it one more time." Alex dares.