Chapter 18

I was given the other two sets of instructions. Alec had sent me back to my room immediately, and I had been relieved. My eyes look at the thick parchment paper in my hands and I sigh, laying all of them down.

Pretty little girl, don't be alarmed.
Stop when I turn and you won't be harmed.
You must cross mothers line, but not while she's looking.
If she catches you beautiful, you're going to be cooking.

Ring around my rosie
Pockets full of posing
Ashes Ashes
My love falls down

I tap my fingers, remembering those horrifying days with the utmost vivid pictures. My eyes close and I rake a hand through my hair.

Eenie meenie miney mo
Catch my lady by her toe
If she hollers let her go
If not well, snowflake won't know

I can only imagine how those poor girls... I shook my head.

Now princess I can't see in the dark,
but I know that knives can be sharp.
Hide while the lights are on,
but sweetheart when the lights turn down, you better pray there's no one around.

I flinch when I see the name princess. That was- that was Marisa's name. My blood curdled. On the first day... Alec cried over a girl name pretty little girl and... beautiful.

The names of the girls who were going to die were in the clues. I swallowed my disgust. This only proved he was picking girls. I covered my mouth with my hand, a sob escaping. He was a true monster.

I didn't care what happened any longer. It wouldn't matter because it was chosen. He was changing our fates before we knew. I wiped furiously at my tears but they came none the less. My heart was broken in two at the horrible name he'd given to the human species.

"Darling, will you open the door?" Alec calls from the other side of my room. I don't want to face him, see that calm, collected gaze as he handed me a paper. A paper that had two girls deaths written on it.

"No." I hiccup. Alec is silent for a moment. I don't want to move. My door opens and I hear footsteps coming towards me. Alec places the envelope on my bed and I turn so he can't see my face.

"I'd make sure you gathered yourself up before you started, Darling. You wouldn't want to go out there weak or delusional." Alec turns to leave and I can't help myself.

"Like you?" I snarl, not turning to face him. I could only imagine him, straightening his back, pausing silently for a moment as he contemplated an answer with his eyes calm. Then his lips would move to let out a small breath and-

"I would hardly say I'm the delusional one. I'm quite certain I'm sane." Alec starts walking and I have to laugh.

"If you're sane, what does that make me?" I snap, finally facing him with my tears and all. Alec's face hardens at my continual questions but he doesn't give me a response.

I snatch the next clue, ripping the thick envelope to feel the familiar weight of the paper in my hand. My tears begin to dry as I stare at the wet ink. This was freshly written. My gut sank and my hands began shaking.

Let's try something new my dear
Your only opponent is your own fear
This game has no name
But your life will never be the same

I couldn't bear facing anything close to fear right now. My throat was burning at the thought. I quickly reread it, trying to figure out what girls would be targeted. The only name was 'my dear.' He wasn't only killing one was he?