Chapter 11

I didn't react. Makayla nudged my leg and handed me a second note while Alec was preoccupied with the first one. I tried to hide my smirk. Alec glanced at me as he finished reading what the first note said. All the girls were staring at the exchange, though no one was saying a word. I clenched my jaw.

Alec didn't mention anything about it and that made me tense even more. Dinner was brought out, and though I hadn't eaten in a whole day, I didn't really want to be drugged. Alec noticed my hesitancy to eat and he ordered me to eat the food. When I still didn't react, he made a spectacle of it.

"Darling, I believe I told you to eat." Alec's voice raised and the already quiet room went to complete silence. Makayla turned away from me. Trisha glared at me, her stare burning me just as hard as Alec's was. "I don't appreciate this rebellious stage you're going through."

"I'm not going through a rebellious stage." I say firmly. Alec chuckles coldly and my hair stands up on the back of my neck. My eyes meet his grey ones and I clench my jaw.

"I gave you an order and you didn't do it. Perhaps you'd like to know what the punishments are for such an action." Alec's voice, though it's lowering, pierces me like a knife and I'm having trouble breathing as fear is taking over me. "I believe you've seen enough today, so I'd suggest you listen."

"What's the point of listening when you'll just do what you want to me anyways?" I feel my fear turning into anger. He could choose the girls he wanted to kill, and nothing would change his mind about that. So what stops him now?

"I have to play by the rules." He says lowly.

"What rules?" I demand. Alec frowns.

"We've had this conversation before." He sounds both surprised by my question and agitated that I'm bringing it up again.

"Refresh my memory." I continue. He gets a sly grin on his face.

"As soon as you eat your plate, I'd be happy to refresh your memory." Alec's voice was layered with malice and I knew he wouldn't just remind me of his false rules, but also what happens if you're caught outside after dinner.

"I think I'd rather try to remember on my own." I say finally, still holding his gaze. Trisha glares at me from the other side of him. She's telling me I'm not doing a good job of keeping my favorite spot.

"I'm not surprised, but I am sort of disappointed in you, Darling." I turn away from Alec's words. His eyes remain set on me and the girls remain silent. "But, while I have everyone's attention, would you like to explain to me what this note is?"

Alec lays the note in front of me and Makayla shrinks into her seat. She's a very good actor. I looked at the scrawled writing and saw Trisha peering around Alec from the corner of my eye.

"Maybe you can't read it." Alec begins and anger bubbles in me. "It says, and I quote, 'I followed your directions and got the girls involved in it as well. We can go ahead with it tonight.' Now, Darling," Alec pauses and the girls are looking at each other, confused. "I don't know what you're planning, but I do believe the conversation I had with you this morning prohibited you from mentioning anything about your little incident." Alec's eyes stare at me.

"So, not only did you fail to listen to me once by not going to your room when you were told to, but you also told someone something that I told you was to remain hidden, and thirdly you planned something without my knowledge and then expect me to think that you're not going through a rebellious stage." Alec waits for me to defend myself but I don't.

"Why are you having private conversations with her?" Trisha suddenly asks. My gut sinks. She's already doubting me and now her fears seem to be coming true. "You wouldn't have as many as you do unless she's a pawn in your game that knows how to play this. Is she working with you and you're going to kill all of us and give us the false hope that someone has a chance?" Trisha is suddenly standing. Alec doesn't seem surprised.