Chapter 20//What Note?

***Calum's POV***
"She's still in critical condition but we are doing everything in our power to help her Mr. Hood." The doctor said sadly. I nodded understandingly but my heart dropped.

"She's really special, just please don't give up on her." I said. He pursed his lips before I turned to walk out of the room.

"He said she'll be fine." I lied to a desperate looking Ashton. He nodded eagerly before walking off to answer his phone which was ringing in his pocket.

Michael double checked that Ashton was gone before turning to me. "What did the doctor actually say?" He questioned.

"She's still in critical condition, that mightn't change." I said, suddenly bursting into tears but wiping my face quickly when Ashton re-entered the room.

"Riley's school called, they want me to go in and collect something." Ashton said with a sigh.

"She's my baby girl, I don't want to leave her alone." He added. I gave him a small smile.

"I'll be here, if anything happens I'll call you immediately, I promise" I assured him. He nodded reluctantly. "Okay." He shrugged, leaving the room.
***
"Ashton? They're going to try and wake Riley up, come back as soon as you can." I said quickly over the phone.

"Oh my gosh, I'm on my way." He replied and hung up.

"Her dad is coming in now, but you can start to try and wake her if you like." I said to the nurse.

She nodded and turned off the machine that was keeping Riley breathing in hope that she'd start breathing herself. I grabbed her hand, it was cold from lack of oxygen. I closed my eyes and prayed for her to open hers.

The door opened and Ashton rushed to the other side of her bed, picking up her hand. "Please" I whispered, begging her to start breathing. It only lasted a few seconds but it felt like an hour.

Her eyes opened lazily for a few milliseconds and took a shaky breath before her eyes shut again, but she was breathing. She was okay.

"We're going to make sure she's completely disconnected from the machines if you boys don't mind waiting outside." The nurse said, guiding us towards the door.

When I stepped outside I almost wanted to cry just from knowing she was okay, but instead I turned to Ashton.

"What did you collect from her school?" I questioned. He pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. I looked at it.

"Oh my god... Aw" I said with a smile. He nodded, giving a smile back.

"Everyone in her year signed a card for her." He giggled, seemingly the happiest I've seen him since this all happened.

We both stood up immediately when Riley's room door opened. The doctor stood there.

"She's awake, but tired and very weak from lack of nutrients, we're going to monitor her vitamin intake and rebuild her strength, but for now she is pretty malnourished."

We nodded, Ashton walked in first. "Hey baby girl." He giggled.

Luke walked in next, then Michael. I was having second thoughts. What if she didn't want to see me? What if she is mad at me? I decided to put my thoughts to the back of my mind and go in.

I opened the door, and the second Riley saw me she started to cry, making a dagger of hurt and guilt pierce my heart.

"Riley... I'm sorry..." I said awkwardly. Ashton looked between me and her confused.

"Can I be alone with Calum?" She asked sleepily. The boys nodded and almost immediately left, leaving me and her alone.

I looked up at her awkwardly before sitting sheepishly on the edge of her bed.

"Did you read my note?" She asked sadly. I gave her a confused look. "What note do you mean?"

Ashton stuck his head around the door, "guys we are being told to leave..." He said awkwardly. I glanced at Ashton.

"She said there was a note..." I said shakily, unsure of myself. Ashton looked panicky, "a suicide note? So that was a suicide attempt and not an accident?" He asked, sounding almost as hurt as I felt.

"Guys I have the note..." Luke said, seeming to come out of nowhere behind Ashton. I looked at him, my jaw clenched, "what? Why?" I hissed.

"I thought everyone would get angry if you guys read it..." He said awkwardly. I rolled my eyes and shrugged it off, he was only trying to keep peace among all of us. He pulled the note out of his pocket and Ashton immediately plucked it out of his hand and started reading it.

His eyes widened and he looked up at me. "Is this for real?" He asked rather aggressively. "I don't know, since I haven't seen it yet." I muttered sarcastically. I looked up at Riley, who was still tearful. My heart shattered and my hand instinctively went to hers and I brushed my thumb over hers soothingly.

Ashton immediately darted over, pushing my hand away and grabbing the collar of my shirt. "After what it says on this note, you will never touch my daughter again, are we clear?" He hissed about an inch away from my face.

I gave him a confused look. "Show me the letter then." I growled back. He shoved the letter into my chest, letting go of my shirt and instead sitting next to Riley. I rolled my eyes at them and started reading.

——————
A/N The whole chapter in Cal's POV.... Oh well.

Stay Strong, ilysm <3

Adopted By Ashton Irwinजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें