Chapter 3//Calum

A/N Dedicated to Alex again for the amazing book cover. okay @UndeadKarr follow him please <3

***Carters POV***

When Riley walked out I completely broke down, I couldn't help it. She was my best friend, and now I may never see her again. I debated whether or not to follow her but I decided against it when I heard a male voice.

"Is this Riley?" I heard him ask. I could hear the friendliness in the way he spoke to her.  She had told me everything that had happened in the past so I was happy she got a second chance to live a childhood the same as everybody else, even if it isn't with her biological parents. They would take good care of her right?

***

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a knock on the door.

"Carter? Are you there?"  I let out a sigh of relief when I realised it was only Chloe, my second best friend here... well I guess she's my first now that Riley is gone.

"Yeah, I'm here" I replied, quickly wiping my tears and unlocking the door plastering a fake smile on my face, but she saw through it.

"Carter" she said sympathetically giving me sad eyes, "I know she was your best friend here I'm so sorry."

Her words got to me and I started crying again.  God, I missed Riley so much already.

"Carter, don't cry, come here" she said, patting the seat beside her. I walked over and sat down. She hugged me and I let out every emotion that had built up. I just cried into her shoulder while she said the typical comforting words that everyone always says to somebody who is upset.

"Shh Carter it's okay" she repeated.  (A/N cover your eyes children)  I looked up at her, our eyes locking.

Before I could process what I was doing, I inched towards her, cupping her face in my hands and kissing her.  She jumped in surprise but after a few seconds she started kissing back. But something was wrong, there was no spark, it didn't feel like it meant anything.

I pulled away and her eyes opened, looking at me with a mixture of hurt and confusion.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled, standing up and stepping away.

"That shouldn't have happened" I added before leaving the room and going outside for some air.

***

When I got outside I tried my best to process what just happened. My mind a whirlpool of unanswerable questions.

Did I like Chloe in that way? I mustn't like her if there was no spark there.

I only did it because I was upset about Riley, didn't I?

No matter what I thought about she would still end up in my mind.  But she was always only my best friend, she can't be anything more. I mean, I always thought she was pretty but I never fancied her, did I? I mean, after all, I kissed Chloe, not Riley.

After spending another few minutes debating my feelings for both Riley and Chloe my eyes widened, I knew who I liked. I jumped up from my seat and ran. I went past Chloe's room and glanced in. she was on her phone, this was the perfect time. I sprinted to my room and picked up my phone, scrolling through my contacts until I found the name I was looking for, then pressed call.

***Riley's POV***

"And this is your room" Ashton stated, finishing up his tour of the house. The house was massive, with 6 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms and 3 spare bedrooms, and that wasn't even everything. It was incredible.