Rayne Fletcher

CHAPTER TWELVE:

RAYNE FLETCHER

Jaden’s Point Of View:

I sat on the couch listening to music, as my eyes traveled to  the coffee table in front of me. I watched my Android slide across its flat, smooth surface. Removing the earphones that rested inside my ears, I realzed “Headlines” by: Drake was pouring out of my phone.

It was Reynna.

Me: “What’s up?”

Reynna: “Hey Jaden, are you caught up with anything this week?”

Me: “No, why?”

Reynna: “Well, I wanted to see if  you’d come visit us girls in Florida.”

Me: “Yeah, sure I can.”

Reynna: “Plus, I need you to do me a favor.”

Me: “Watcha need?”

Reynna: “Uh, it’s just I think Sydney has something on her chest that she needs to get out in the open, and I don’t think she wants to tell us for some reason,  she always tells you everything so..”

Me: “That’s cool, I’ll see what I can do.”

Reynna: “Well, you’re gonna have to leave tomorrow is that okay? We’re going to my aunt’s house and she said she’d pick you up the day before we arrive, so it’s a surprise.”

Me: “Alright, well I gotta go.”

Reynna: “Bye.”

The call ended.

This is my chance, I thought to myself. Sydney was my best friend, she’d always been there for me, but it was in seventh grade that I realized I liked her as more than  a friend.

My dad had taken me out of home schooling and put me in regular schools like Syd, after talking to her mom. In the beginning people watched me every second of everyday trying to become Will Smith’s son’s friend. After a while, thing’s just seemed to die down a bit though. Sydney and I had known each other since we were like 5 , so she was the only person I knew. I could always catch a glimpse of girls giving her the evil eye because I talked to her instead of them, but Sydney acted like she never even noticed. We both had the same homeroom: Mrs.Carney. Sydney came into class smiling extra bright and  waved to me as usual.

Sydney: “Hey Jay.”

Me: “Hey Sydney.”

She slid her things down into the seat next to me and walked quickly towards her friend, Jane’ (pronounced Janae). I listened as she began talking.

S: “Janie! Guess What?!”

J: “What?”

S: “I think Rayne Fletcher likes me!”

J: “What?! Keep talking..” (she was all ears now)

S: “Well, You know Davon right?”

Jane’ nodded.

S: “And you know how him and Rayne are best friends?”

J: “Yeah.”

S: “Well, Davon lives down the street from me, and him and Rayne are always hanging around outside in front of my house. I went to go talk to them one day and we’ve been hanging out for the past few months. This morning I sat in my usual seat, by myself, but Davon sat next to me. I asked him why he wanted to sit here and he made up a bunch of excuses. I bugged him until finally he told me the REAL reason why. He was like ‘I need to ask you something.’ And I was like ‘what is it?’. He asked me if I liked Rayne, but I wouldn’t answer  him. I asked him why he wanted to know and he said..(she paused for dramatic effect) because Rayne likes me. I told him I kinda did and he smiled and said okay!”(They both screamed and continued talking)

Sydney  liked Rayne and they hung out? How come this was my first time hearing about this? I mean she usually told me everything.

Someone walked into the classroom, I didn’t acknowledge the person until I heard Jane’ whisper to Syd, “Incoming!” 

I looked up towards the person, it was Rayne who stood staring in Sydney’s direction. Sydney’s head turned towards him and they exchanged smiles.

What was going on?

Later that day,  Sydney and I were talking in our homeroom seats. Sydney sat to the left of me and I sat to the right of her. She was  pulling her binder out when someone approached her from behind. It was a boy and he was holding a single rose.

She turned around and there stood Rayne.

Rayne: “Uh, Sydney can I talk to you for a minute?”

Sydney: “Uh yeah sure.”

She tried to keep herself composed as she sprang from her seat.  Sydney quickly glanced back at Jane’ and they exchanged smiles.

I grabbed an unsharpened pencil from my bag and walked to the pencil sharpener. I listened to their conversation outside.

Sydney: “So what’s up?”

Rayne: “ Uh, this is for you.”

I assumed he was giving her the rose.

Sydney: “What’s this for?”

Rayne: “We’ve  been hanging out for a while now and I like hanging out with you a lot. I think you’re really pretty and nice and I was wondering if you’d be my girl Sydney..”

I could hear the smile in her voice as she spoke.

Sydney: “ Oh my gosh Rayne, yes I will.”

He laughed quietly and Sydney walked in with the biggest smile I’d ever seen.

Me: “What was that about?”

Sydney: “Nothing.”

She continued smiling and she and Rayne exchanged brief glances until we were all dismissed.

TO BE CONTINUED...