The Originals

Ten Years Ago

-

"Mama, you promised to tell me a story." Evangeline crooned, pulling the pink covers on her bed up higher.

"Yes I did." Her mother replied. "Let's see, now. Which one should I tell today. Oh, I've got the perfect one. You know the stories of New Orleans, but have I told you the story of the original family?"

Evangeline shook her head, sitting up straighter and sending her mother an excited smile.

"It is said that a long time ago, there once lived a family of brothers and a sister, all who were the most powerful beings to walk the earth. They were immortal, never able to be killed and had been alive for over a thousand years. These brothers and their sister lived off of human blood."

"Ew. Like Dracula?" Evangeline asked.

"Yes, my love, exactly." Her mother tucked a loose curl back behind her daughter's ear. "They were vampires. But these were not nice vampires. They killed for fun and fought to be in control of various territories. They all were a force to be reckoned with. The eldest was Finn, then Elijah, Niklaus, Kol, and the youngest, Rebekah. Together they were the Mikaelson family, bound by the vow always and forever."

"What were they like, Mama?" Evangeline asked excitedly. "Did they have magic powers?"

"The Mikaelson family are to be hidden from, my daughter. They are ruthless killers and have left nothing but chaos in their wake. Promise me, my dear Evageline, that if you ever hear of the name Mikaelson in your lifetime, be afraid. Very afraid. They will only bring death as they travel. Promise me, love, that you'll run. Promise me that if you ever see or hear the Mikaelson name, you will run."

"I will, Mama." Evangeline nodded, sensing the fear in her mother's voice. "I promise."

<><><><>

Five Years Ago
-
Evangeline had reread the book a million times. She had memorized every single line, and every curve to all of the pictures. She knew all the facts, all the traits, and all the solutions.

Her mother had passed not long after she had told her the story of the original family. Ironically, she had died not more than a couple months later. Evangeline was heartbroken. She had been tied at the hip with her mother since birth, and being without her for five years had been painful. The book on the original family was the only thing that kept her going. Evangeline had seen the fear in her mother's eyes the night she had told the story. She had seen the worry and anxiety. Evangeline knew that no matter what happened, she had to honor her mother's wish of her: if you ever see or hear of the Mikaelson name, you will run.

Evangeline didn't know if the old tale was true, but she damn well knew her preparation was going to be enough if something did happen.

<><><><>

Today
(Evangeline's pov)
-
My heart was pounding as I ran down the quiet streets of New Orleans. My breath was ragged and my legs were worn. Marcel's men were gaining, and even with my vampire speed, they were hot on my tail. I veered left into an alleyway, stopping immediately when I saw a brick wall at the end of it. I spun around, hoping to get back out, but two large guys were standing at the opening, blocking my way.