23 ~ Babysitting

Sans woke slowly. For one disorienting minute, he
thought he was still in Gaster's lab, strapped down to the operating table. But as he opened his eyes and saw the ceiling above him was most definitely not Gaster's lab, all the memories came flooding back.

How he had gone to rescue Papyrus. Made his way into the Ruins. Found the lab. Thought he could get more energy by allowing himself to be injected with Corrupt Magic.

After all, he already had Corrupt Magic. It wasn't like more would damage him.

But he couldn't help feeling that something had been lost, something that maybe once had been important to him.

Ah well. It hardly mattered now.

Gradually, his senses fully returned, and even longer after that, the same scientists who had strapped him down to the table let him up.

The scientist nodded as Sans sat up. "Ĺoo͘k͟s͞ liḱe҉ th҉at ҉dįd ͠it.̨ ̸"

Sans looked down at his chest, through his ribs to his Soul. Something about it seemed strange. Not wrong, just not the way it normally was.

As he slipped off the table to retrieve his shirt and jacket, pulling them on, he happened to glance over at the cell. Alphys was still watching with a sort of horrified terror, and Papyrus was still limp and silent.

Papyrus. That's what it was. The white streak in his Soul was gone.

And with it, any affection for his brother.

That was for the best, he decided. He was Corrupt, and it wouldn't do to have love for the Pure. It just worked better this way.

The scientist spoke up. "Y̴ou ͏o̵ugh̴ta ̀test̸ ̡yoùr͡ ̨M̀ag̀ić ŗe͝a̴l҉l͟y quick̸l͘y͜ b͞ef̷ore you ̵g̡o.̛ ̕Ju̕st ̷t̷o̧ m̷ake̵ ̶su̸re͡ e͝very̕t͢h͟i͡ng'͠a̸ w͞or͠k͠i̧ng ̶p͘r̢op͢e̵r̵ly̢.҉ "

Sans nodded. After a deep breath, he summoned a couple attacks, holding them momentarily before letting them dissolve. "s͝ęemś ͢t͞o̸ b́e̡ ҉w͟ork͜in͞g ̧f͜in̷e̛."

The scientist made an expression that Sans could only assume was a smile. "Ì ̛gu̡es̶s͘ ̸Į'͏ll ҉be g҉i̕v͘ing y͟óu a̕ ̨cl̛ea͞n ̵bi̡ll̵ of ̕h͠e̕al̵t̵h,̧ th̨e҉n̢. ͏Yo̡u'͏r̀e ̶f́re̛e̵ ̡to͜ ͞go̕, u͏n̛l͏ess t͜h͠e̢r̴e͟ ͜w̡a̸s ̛s̡ome̸t͏h͞ing ̶el͘s̛e ͠yoų ̵wante҉d?̕"

Sans shook his head, and turned to the door.

As he stepped up to the threshold, something happened. It was a quiet sound, barely audible, that Sans almost thought he didn't hear it, like a whisper of a whimper or a moan.

Sans turned around. "a̴ct̴u̴al̨ly̧... ̷the̷r͡e ̷is o͡n̕e͏ t̢hi҉ng..."

The scientist had turned to start work on something else. His head lifted to look at Sans. "Oh?̡ Ẁha͏t̀'̷s ̶that̢?́"

The edges of Sans' grin lifted, and his eyesockets went dark. ".͘.͘.̸ ̴i̢ want͘ t͡h̶e̛ co̕d̵e ̶to ͜t̵hę ce͝l̡l҉ d͠oor̶."

~o0o~

Alphys just... didn't understand.

She didn't understand any of what was going on.