Chapter 17: Knuckles

Start from the beginning

"We'll just go to the emergency Thomas," mum said. 

I just nodded. 

"I hope it's not busy," she said, turning a corner. 

- - - - - - - - - 

After several minutes we finally reach the local hospital where mum parked and we all hopped out and walked over to the emergency unit. 

"Thank goodness," mum let out, seeing that there was only two people sitting in the waiting chairs.

They must have already been served and just waiting. We all followed mum up to the reception desk. The old lady looked up. 

"Can I help you?" She asked. 

"Yes,' my mother replied, 'my son had injured his fingers and we thought we'd just get it checked."

We waited for an answer. 

"Let me have a look at it son," she said, putting her glasses on. 

I put my hand out for her too see. 

"Gee boy, what did you do? 'Punch a concrete wall?" She chuckled at her remark. 

"Sort of," I said. 

She looked up, surprised that her remark was almost right. 

"A-a door," my mother added. 

"Well, it definitely has had some injury, golly, look at the bruising, let alone the swelling!' She cried. 'I'll get you a doctor straight away. 'He will give you an x-ray." 

She smiled as she went down a hall way to find a doctor. 

Soon a man in about this forty's, came in behind the receptionist. 

"So,' he called, 'punching a door ay?" He asked in a teasing tone. 

I gave him a grin. 

"Come on, let me have a look,' he said. 'What's your name?" He continued. 

"Thomas," I said, putting my hand out. 

"Oo,' he remarked, 'now there's some bad bruising and swelling. 'Ya hand looks like a blueberry mate!"

I liked this doctor. 

"But, yes to be serious,' he continued, 'that's very bad, come on through and we'll give you an x-ray."

Mum, Brendan and Manny sat down and I walked in with the doctor. 

"Oh,' he started, 'sorry, how rude of me, I'm Dr. Krip." 

"No worries," i replied. 

He directed me to a room that a bed looking table thing in the middle where there was some machine above it. 

"Alright Thomas, 'just sit here, put your legs out in front of you. 'Place this blue padding under your hand and rest your hand with your fingers out so I can do the x-ray."

I did as he said and sat and waited. He told me some other angles to place my hand and within a few minutes we were done. 

"I'll just get them printed and I will come out with the results," he said, patting my back once and giving me a smile before walking off. 

I went back to the waiting room. 

"How was everything sweetheart?" Mum asked, patting my other arm. 

"He's just finishing printing the x-rays,' I said, 'then he'll come out with the results." 

Mum nodded. Brendan lent over to me and I moved down to hear what he had to say.