1. Meet the Family

Beginne am Anfang

Mr. Mehra: Abhi has grown up into a tall and handsome boy. Thank your stars that he has not taken after you. Then he laughed out loud. Dad joined him in laughter.

Mrs. Mehra: He can easily become a model. She said looking at him.

Mr. Mehra: What do you want to do, son?

Dad: He wants to be do computer engineering. Dad said even before I could open my mouth to answer.

Mr. Mehra: You don't have to worry about it. Your dad can get you admission in any top college in the world.

Dad: I wanted to send him abroad for his high school but he wanted to stay with us and study here, whereas Ria insists on studying abroad from now only.

I continued eating my toast while my parents talked.

Dad: He is very ambitious. He has already given entrance tests for engineering in prestigious colleges. He doesn't want to take my help.

Mr. Mehra: That's great, you should be proud, Mr.Singh.

Mom: We are.

I got a little shock as mom had felt bad when I refused to go abroad for my high school. She wished I did go to one , like other kids of her elite friends. Mom loves me but she isn't really happy about how I keep my world to my books and not go on outings. She wants me to enjoy my life like other rich kids of her friends. Perhaps she thinks I'm an introvert and  with this kind of my nature I might not be fit to take on Dad's empire. She always says,"U need to go out there, socialize, meet people and learn networking,". I always tell her,"I 'll learn , when my boat reaches there."

Everybody is done with breakfast and mom serves tea to Mehras.

 Abhi: nice meeting you.                                                                                                                                                      He  gets up from there to go to his room. He picks up the half read "Da Vinci Code" from his bed and begins to read it sitting on his computer table.

Abhi doesn't care what the guests do.They are there or left..

One week later 12th grade results were out and Abhi got 96 in Chemistry , 97 in Physics,100 in Math and 90 in Biology and 92 in English. He comes home and tells the result to mom. She kisses him on forehead and tells him how proud she is of him. These were the times when she felt how good he was in comparison to her friend's kids.But she also felt he doesn't require to be that hardworking. He can enjoy life as they are very rich.He tells his result to dad over phone and Ria tells mom that they should throw a party to celebrate. Abhi rolls his eyes and tells that they just need an excuse to party.

After a week, his all engineering entrance tests are out. He has made it into all IIT's and CET. Everybody at  home felt so proud of him.

Dad: So Abhi, which IIT are you going to?

Abhi: Dad, I don't want to go to any of IIT's.

Dad: But I thought you want to be the best computer engineer.

Mom: Which college have you decided to join then?

Abhi: Well, mom you see I was born in Kerala at your parents place as they couldn't come here and you wanted your near and dear one's around. I am a domicile there.I also gave KEAM which of course I cleared. There is this college St. George Institute of Science and Technology in Alleppey in Kerala. I want to go there. I don't want anyone to know who I am. I want to live  a simple  life in rural environment. I want to experience what regular kids experience. Other places it won't be possible. I want to spend my next four years in lap of nature in the God's own Country, where people wouldn't know who I am. One of your relatives is a chairman of this college if I remember correctly. Can you tell him to tell the principal to keep my parents details confidential from everyone.

Mom: Okay, but what do we tell our friends here.That my only son is doing engineering in a village. Why?                                                                                                                                                                           For God's sake , don't be so stubborn Abhi. Why don't you go abroad and study to your heart's content?

Abhi: No mom, that's not what my dream is. It's not just engineering. It's also about the type of life I want to experience with it.

Ria: He is already a loner mom, I have no doubt he wants to go reclusive and day is not far when we'll hear he has turned into a pope in so n so church in Kerala. She laughs out loud.

Mom: Ria, this is not a joke.

Dad was listening intently all this while.

Dad: Ok, you are a grown up boy. Do what you want to and let me know what you want me to do for that.

Abhi: Thank you dad. And mom you can tell your friends I am studying in some college abroad which is far from all your friend's kids college. Winks and smiles. Now Happy?

Mom: That is what we got to do now for your happiness.

Ria: Bhai,this is an act of cruelty. A handsome boy like you should be available to larger population of girls to see and appreciate. It's  unfair that you go hiding in a rural place when all girls here are lattoo over you. Mom, do you know bhai is called a lady-killer in school.

Abhi: Stop it, Ria.

Ria: I'm not making up. I wouldn't be surprised if he is unaware. That's what the big girls say.

Mom: Ria, enough. Mom looked upset thinking how am I going to manage on my own in that far off lonely place.

Mom: Have you applied for admission? When do the college start? It pours so much in Kerala!

Abhi: In 20 days. I'll be alright , mom. I can take care of myself.

Dad: All the bests Abhi,wish you had joined IIT Mumbai here.

Abhi: Thank you, dad.

Abhi is all excited to reach Alleppey and begin his new life in a boys hostel with kids from middle class families.He is looking forward to new enriching experience in life.