Chapter 9 - The Lilies

Edited 1/2/17
Dedicated to Ruby_Roses7
There was a knock on the door. Elytra ignored it. The door creaked open, and standing in the doorway were Tony, Thor, and Steve. She looked over at them, and what she saw was shocking. They were all covered in bruises and cuts, battered and exhausted. Elytra sat up, and looked them straight in the eyes. Each one of them stared back, muttering a "Sorry." She felt tears form in her eyes, because she thought they had left her. Elytra thought something bad had happened, which it looks like something did. Elytra stood up shakily, and ran/stumbled over to Steve, wrapping her arms around his waist. He hugged her back, and they stood there, in the doorway, arms around each other, and Elytra thought she found her new Cameron.
"What happened to you?!" Elytra ran her fingers across one of the cuts on Clint's face. They were sitting in the medical lab, and the Avengers were getting fixed up. Thor, Steve, and Tony sat on the left, Natasha on the right, and Elytra briefly saw Wanda run downstairs, sobbing. "And where's Pietro?"
Her question seemed to make time stop, everyone frozen around her. Steve stuttered. "E-Elytra, P-Pietro's go-gone." Her heart dropped. Her fingers tingled, and her feet froze. Pietro was dead.
"How did he die?"
"Protecting Clint and a child."
Elytra let out a choked sob, and quietly asked to be excused. No one answered, mostly just looked down in silence, so she took that as her cue to leave. Her feet left a thin trail of ice as she slowly walked out the door.
Elytra burst through the door to her room, and made her way to the closet. Rain crashed against the window, and the wind bellowed. She tore a cloak off of a hanger, cut two slits in it, and thrust her wings through the holes. She fastened it at the collar, and stumbled into the bathroom. Elytra pulled at and braided her hair, bringing it up into a bun at the top of her head. She pulled the hood up, and ran through the hallways, into the elevator, and down to the front door.
The doors creaked on their hinges, and Elytra set off into the storm, turning the rain around her into snow. She fought back tears as she came upon the field, where they had had a snowball fight. It seemed like a lifetime ago, but was only a few weeks. It was February now, and she was surprised it was raining, instead of snowing, which it kind of was anyway. Elytra walked up to a cluster of lilies, white as the snow surrounding them. She took out a knife from her belt loop, and soon had a bouquet of lilies in her grasp. She tucked them into a pocket on the inside of her cloak, and trudged through the snow back to the Tower.
Elytra pushed the doors closed, and traveled down the many halls back to the medical ward. She put her ear against the door. Pure silence. Elytra took the flowers out, held them in her hands, and turned the knob. Still, silence. The Avengers looked up at her, some with grief stricken eyes, some with tear stained cheeks. She wiped the tears from under her eyes, and stepped into the room. Elytra walked over to the chair between Thor and Tony, and sat down. She looked at the lilies in her hands, turning them over and over repeatedly. Too white. "Pietro's favorite color is blue?" Elytra looked over at Wanda, and she gave a small nod, still looking at the ground. She touched the tips of each lily, and watched the ice begin to turn them blue. "Better." She whispered to herself, smiling, just a little, at the icy blue lilies in her hands. Elytra pulled the hood off her head, undid her hair, and laid her head back against the wall. She turned to look at Tony, who looked at her flowers with the smallest hint of a smile on his face. "Lightning would've liked them, Icy."