[15] An Unsuccessful Rehearsal

Start from the beginning

          “Do you see this?” I demanded, pointing at him. I glared at him, and then glanced at Ruth’s disbelieving face. “What?” I asked her.

          “You’re all the same. The maturity levels of a toddler,” she sighed pitifully. She sunk down onto a chair, placing her head in her hands.

          “I’m not the one sticking my tongue out!” I defended, throwing my hands on my hips.

          “She’s being an ass to me,” William replied innocently.

          “Stop swearing!” I practically wailed. “It’s not necessary! I can get by fine without using a cuss word in every sentence!”

          “Fine,” William growled. “You don’t like swearing? I’ll stop.”

          “Really?” I couldn’t mask the surprise in my voice.

          “Yes,” he nodded. “But I do know some sign language you’d love.”

          With those words, he flipped me off.

~* *~

          After the grueling rehearsal, we all decided to lounge at my house. I was surprised that William agreed, but then again, he I realized he probably had some conniving plans up his sleeve.

          “Don’t break anything, O.K.?” I warned them seriously before I allowed them through the front door.

          William brushed past me, bringing a shiver down my arm. Cold seemed to radiate around his body, like a freezer. “Are you sick, Will?” I asked him.

          He honestly looked confused, “No, why?”

          We all walked into my home, kicking off our shoes by the door. I bounded over to the living room and flung myself in the recliner, leaving them the loveseat.

          “I don’t know, you’re always just cold,” I babbled, realizing I should’ve kept my mouth shut. He could get offended from that, and honestly, that was the last thing I wanted.

          “He’s a vampire,” Johnny answered, as if that was the only logical conclusion. He shrugged off his sweatshirt and draped it over the side of the couch. He took a seat on the floor, sprawling out like a dead man.

          “No, I have a circulation problem,” William shrugged nonchalantly. He sagged against the loveseat directly across from me. “Nothing big.”

          “That can’t be healthy,” I responded with a frown. I leaned forward and  held out my hands expectantly. He looked down at them with an eyebrow raised, but made no attempt to move. “Give me your hands,” I ordered.

          “I don’t know if that’s a good idea,” he replied smoothly.

          “Yeah, your disease will rub off on her, huh Will?” Johnny giggled like a school-girl on the living room floor.

          William glared at his friend and shoved his hands out for me to inspect.

          I put his palms on mine, ignoring the small electric shock that had developed. His hands were tan, fingers long and elegant, the nails clipped down short like a typical boy. I inspected his hands, shaking my head when I did so.

          Hmm, usually with circulation problems, your hands turned red.

          “Done?” William asked in an annoyed tone. He yanked his hands away, even though I hadn’t responded.