Chapter 30: Goodbye

I never thought of myself as I violent person. I had never held any grudges, never wished for anyone to disappear. And yet here I was, dreaming about killing someone I didn’t even know.

I stood on the porch, the heria sword clutched in my hands. I let the cool breeze caress my face and blow my hair back. Closing my eyes I wrapped my fingers tightly around the blade, feeling the weight of a thousand of years of knowledge swirling within it.

I couldn’t explain it, but I felt like something was incredibly wrong. The messenger had been somehow familiar to me, though I had only realised it later. I knew I knew who it was, but my brain seemed unable to make the connection.

It was almost impossible to believe how my life had changed in the past two months. 8 weeks ago my biggest problem was being the weirdest girl in school. Now, I had the fate of the world on my shoulders and a bounty on my head. It was surreal to say the least, just how much everything, especially I had changed.

My eyes slowly blinked open when I heard the sliding door open and footsteps behind me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mina come and stand next to me, her face upturned to the stars. There were lines on her face that hadn’t been there days earlier. She looked tired, yet somehow still managed to look like a Queen.

“I’ve been thinking about it the entire night and day, and I’ve only just figured it out. Well, Ian figured it out.” she said quietly, breaking the silence between us.

“Figured what out?” I asked.

“That figure, made from ash. It was Aterus. I don’t know how I couldn’t have recognized him the instant I saw him…”

“Aterus, are you sure? I mean you know he’s…” I asked.

“Dead, yes, I am aware of that.”

“You don’t seem sad. He was your husband you know…” I said hesitantly.

Mina smiled, “Most Angelus have no qualms with mortals, are happy to live in peace among them. But most are still repulsed by the idea of actually forming a relationship with them. And I actually had a child with one. It never mattered how I felt, how happy I was. I was part of the Council, one of the leaders of Ahina, and I was married to a mortal man.”

“He threatened you, didn’t he?” I asked.

Mina let out a small chuckle, “He was going to kill my husband and baby son. So I left, let them think I ran away. I married a real Angelus, just so he would stop holding a knife to their throats. I haven’t left Ahina in 17 years… And when I do, it’s only because the world is ending.”

“Life is ironic that way.” I said with a small smile.

“What I find hardest though, is that he died thinking his mother never loved him.” Mina said quietly.

“No, he knew. He definitely knew.”

“Maybe… Ella, you know if this meeting doesn’t go our way, there is no second chance.”

I let out a small chuckle, “Certain death certainly is an entertaining prospect. But I promise to do my best to make sure it doesn’t come to that.”

“I know you will, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to win.”

“No, it means we’re going to damn well try.”

What I made sure to not mention however, was exactly how terrified I was of going to the cliffs.

~O~O~O~

“Ella… Ella, I’m here.” a voice whispered, waking me up.

My eyes slowly blinked open. I was lying on my side on an unfamiliar four-poster bed. I leant up on my elbow, faintly registering that I was lying on what felt like Egyptian cotton and silk. I was wearing a tank top and pyjama pants that were a bit too big for me. I sat up properly and looked around the room. I realised with a jolt it was the room Luke, Michelle and I had stayed in when we had been in Ahina.

“Ella, Ella look at me.” came the voice again. Slowly, I turned my head, expecting to see an Angelus wanting to talk to me.

What I did not expect, was Luke to be standing at the side on my bed with a huge smile on his face, “LUKE?!” I screamed in shock and jumped out of the bed.

“Ella, calm down. Calm down Ella!” he said.

“Calm down? You want me to calm down?! YOU’RE DEAD! How are you here?” I shouted.

“Ella, you’re dreaming.” he whispered, walking around the bed so he could touch me.

“So I’m dreaming about my dead boyfriend… Great.” I said, sinking down onto the bed and closing my eyes.

“Hey, hey open your eyes. Come on Ella.” he whispered. I opened my eyes to meet his golden ones. “There they are.” he said with a soft smile.

“Why are you here?” I whispered.

“I promised you I’d always be there, so here I am.” he said, cupping my cheek. Slowly, as if I was the most fragile thing in the world, he leant forward and brushed his mouth over mine. I shivered at the kiss, a single tear escaping to trail down my cheek.

“You’re dead.” I whispered again, yet simultaneously leaning into his touch.

He gave me a sad smile, before leaning up and pressing his lips to my forehead, “I’m so sorry.”

I sniffed and wrapped my arms around him, pulling him onto the bed with me. He immediately did the same, one arm around my waist and the other resting on the nape of my neck. His face was buried in my hair as mine was buried in the crook of his neck.

“What am I going to do without you?” I whispered into his skin.

“You’re going to fight; you’re going to kill him. If anyone can do it, it’s you.” he replied.

“How? How the hell do you expect me to defeat… THAT?” I asked, pulling away from his embrace.

“Ella.” he said, catching my face between his palms, “Listen to me. You are the most powerful Angelus in the entire world. More than me, more than my mom, more than Aterus, more than HIM. You are a heria Ella.”

“I don’t feel that way. I’m broken Luke, I don’t know if I can.”

“Yes you can. You are the strongest person I’ve ever met. You’ve been through so much, your entire life was turned upside down in one week, and yet you’re still here. You CAN do this Ella.” he replied.

Tears welled up in my eyes again, “I miss you, so much.”

“I love you. Never forget that.” he whispered, drawing me back into his arms.

“I know, I love you too.” I whispered back, tears spilling out as I clutched at him.

He pressed a kiss to my temple and then buried his face back into my hair, “How long will you be here?” I asked quietly.

“As long as you need me.” he answered. He pulled back to look into my eyes for a second, before leaning in and pressing a kiss to my lips.

I pushed back, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. His arms went to my waist, dragging me onto his lap. I was still crying, but I pressed closer to him and opened my mouth. His hand threaded through my hair as he kissed my deeper.

When we had run out of breath, we pulled back slightly. Our breath fell warm on each other’s lips as he stroked my cheek. “Stay, please?” I whispered.

“Always, always Ella.”

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys :) Yes, I know it's been a helluva long time, but I have a goo dreason. I've been without internet for almost 3 weeks and I've been almost dying! But I'm back, so let me just say:

OH MY GOD!!!! 10 000 reads!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all so much, I couldn;t have done it without you. I love you all so much, thank you :)

That's all. Please vote and comment :)

-Micky xoxo