Chapter 27: Storm

• Dedicated to The end of Grade 9, and the start of a new chapter

Alice’s house stood right on the outskirts of town, on a huge plot of land that gave you a quarter mile in every direction. Right at the back, on the far edge of the property, there was a small forest complete with a weeping willow and a couple of pine trees. It had always been home, but in that moment, it was the most alien place on the planet.

It was raining, thunder rumbling in the distance, but we were oblivious to it. We were getting soaked, when Luke finally broke the silence.

“During the Great War, the Angelus used to lay feathers on the border of Demonate territory, as a warning ahead of an attack. It was a sign of battle.” he said quietly.

I turned to face him, “Battle?” I asked. He nodded solemnly.

“Oh crap.” Michelle said.

“We have to get inside.” I said, and simultaneously we all turned and walked back into the house. Alice stood at the door of the kitchen, her eyes wide. I silently shook my head, and she nodded, then turned and walked into the lounge. The three of us followed her, all still in a state of shock. Michelle and Alice each took an armchair, while Luke and I fell onto the sofa. Luke sat forward and let his head fall into his hands, while Michelle sat as straight as a board.

“What’s going on?” asked Alice, breaking the silence.

“They’re coming, soon.” I answered. Alice gasped, her eyes going impossibly wider.

“But-” she started.

“You have to go back into hiding. Take the boys and get out of here.” Luke interjected. “It is way too dangerous for you to stay here.”

“I can’t leave you here alone to fight those things.” she said vehemently.

“We won’t be alone.” I said, and all three heads turned to me, “Luke, call your dad. We need him. Alice has to leave as soon as possible; we don’t know when they’re going to come.”

Luke nodded and stood up, sliding his phone from his front pocket. He walked out of the room, while dialling the number. “Alice, go get the twins. You’re leaving the moment Ian arrives.” I told her.

“But Ella...” she said.

“I can’t lose any more of my family. Please Alice.” I said with my eyes huge and begging. She swallowed and shook her head, before standing up and walking out of the room just as Luke reappeared.

“He said half an hour, he needs to pick up some things.” Luke said, sitting back down next to me. He placed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his chest. “Calm down Ella, they’re not going to get any of us.” he whispered into my ear.

Before I could reply, there was a deafening crack of lightning. It had struck just outside the house, causing a jagged shadow to be cast over the entire room. The lightning lit up something in the yard, but only barely. I wasn’t sure I had even seen it, but I still stood up and slowly walked to the window. I felt Luke follow me, and Michelle not far behind.

Hesitantly, I pulled back the floral curtain, giving us a clear view of the front yard. It was pitch black, we couldn’t see a thing. Suddenly lightning split the sky, casting a white light over everything. Everything, including the huge flames that seemed to be growing out of the ground.

The fire was emerald green, not unlike Michelle’s wings. It was a deeper jade at the top and grew to almost white at the top of the flames. The rain did nothing to dampen the flames; the pelting water seemed to make it grow. Greek fire I thought numbly. The fire was arranged in a sort of pattern, with one long, straight, vertical line on the far left, followed by two circles of fire parallel to it and right in front of the window. On the far right were two huge, hollow oval shapes, the same size as the vertical line. I bit my lip as I stared at the obvious message, trying to decipher it.