Chapter 18: Ambrosia

• Dedicated to Grade 9G For always making school hilarious (and because I'm single)

I moaned at the light filtering through my eyelids, giving everything a golden tilt. At the edge of my consciousness I felt someone take my hand, warm and comforting. 

“Come on Ella. Please, just open your eyes.” whispered a voice I knew all too well. I shivered at the depth of feeling hidden in the tone, completely different to the one in my dream. Sluggishly I turned my head towards the voice, willing my body to be quicker.

A sharp intake of breath and then, “That’s it. Just open your eyes, I’m right here.”

Slowly I opened my tired eyes, feeling like I was doing heavy lifting instead of breathing. Everything was so blurry I could barely make out the different shapes. I slowly blinked at the world soon came into focus. Luke was sitting next to the bed I was laying on, his hand wrapped around mine and a huge smile adorning his face. Next to him stood Michelle, who had a huge grin playing on her lips.

“Welcome back to the world of the living. You know, for a moment there we thought you were a goner.” Luke said, still smiling.

I couldn’t bring myself to smile back though. The recurring dream was still playing through my mind. I didn’t want to believe that the guy sitting before me was going to kill me. His hand tightened around mine and I knew I had to respond soon before they knew something was up.

“H-how long have I been out for?” I rasped my voice hoarse from disuse.

“Almost a week.” said Luke, still smiling happily.

“A week? How is that possible?” I asked.

“Seems Ciara’s magic was more powerful than we thought. I’m going to alert the Council of your awakening.” said Michelle. She then turned and walked out of the room, leaving Luke and I alone. Following her with my eyes I was able to take a good look at the room I was residing in. It was small, but in a more cozy than cramped way. The walls were covered with wooden panels, and there was a fire raging in the hearth in front of my four-poster bed. The hangings were the same silver as the cloak, and they were embroidered with sparkling threads in the pattern of wings.

“Ella? Are you okay?” Luke whispered. I jumped when I remembered he was still there.

“Yeah, um, I’m fine. Fine.” I said. I couldn’t bring myself to look at Luke in the eye, scared he would see my dream reflected in my eyes.

“Ella, look at me.” Luke said. I bit my lip and shut my eyes.

“Ella please.” he said. I felt fingers on my chin, tilting my head up. Slowly I surrendered to the pull I had towards him and opened my eyes. His golden eyes were inches from mine, his lips curved in a soft smile.

“Hey.” he whispered.

“Hey.” I said back, just as quietly.

“What were you dreaming about?” he asked.

I sat back quickly, leaning into the pillows behind me. I pushed my hair behind my ears and refused to look at him. I couldn’t tell him about the vision, that I was going to become Demonate priestess.

“Ella, what were you seeing? I need to know!” Luke said loudly.

“Why? What makes my dreams so important.” I replied just as loudly.

“Because for the past week you’ve been thrashing around screaming my name as if I was dying or something. You looked so scared, even though your eyes were closed. Ella, I was terrified watching you like that. Please tell me.” he pleaded quietly.

I was speechless. I stared at Luke, seeing for the first time the bags under his eyes, and the pallor of his skin. Not to mention the fact that I had been screaming his name in my spell-induced sleep.