Chapter 11: Desicions

Mina smiled at her son while Luke looked back impassively. I looked back and forth between the pair, finding new similarities with every look. I looked at Michelle to see her reaction to the impromptu reunion. She was biting her lip, worry evident in her emerald gaze.

“What are you doing here?” said Luke, his eyes never leaving his mother.

“You heard me Luke. I’m here for the girl, Ella.” she answered and her gaze travelled to me. I looked back at her and I saw her eyes were the same shape as Luke’s.

“What do you want with me?” I said.

“We want to talk with you; explain the situation.” She said coolly.

“I know about the Demonate and their threat, you don’t need to speak with me about that.” I told her.

“You don’t understand Ella. It is imperative that you earn your wings.” she said earnestly.

“And why is that?” I asked.

“Ella, you have no idea how special you are, even for an Angelus. We can’t allow you to be taken in by the Demonate.”

I raised an eyebrow at her statement. But before I could reply Luke answered for me.

“I can’t allow you to take her away Mother. She is my responsibility. I swore an oath of blood to grant her free will, and I can’t let you sway her.”

“We do not wish to sway her, my son. We only wish to educate her in the ways of Angelus.” said Mina.

“Wait, who is this we you are always talking about. The only one I see here is you.” I said.

“She means the Council, and more specifically, her husband.” said Michelle contemptuously.

Before either Mina or I could say something Luke spoke, “Ella is not another trophy for him, I won’t allow her to be.

“This is bigger than you Luke, you should know that.” said Mina warningly.

“No mom, I don’t know. You can’t just use Ella and then throw her away; she’s not a weapon in the war.” Luke said vehemently.

“We know she’s not a weapon, but her skills need to be honed.” Mina replied.

“Stop, both of you. You can’t make decisions for me, neither of you. I will choose for myself what I am going to do with all of this.” I said, looking at both of them. They looked back at me with vague surprise. I bit my lip at their scrutiny.

“If I decide to go with you, what will happen to me?” I asked Mina.

“You will be taken to Ahina, where you will be tested and taught. After the six month period we will determine you and decide your fate.” she said.

“And if I stay with you Luke?”  I said to him.

“You would be able to continue your normal life, with Michelle and I helping you to get through the changes.” Luke said.

“What changes?” I said.

“As your Angelus form matures, your body will change to accommodate the magical element. Some changes have already occurred.” said Mina, gesturing to my face.

Before I could respond to either of them the door of the house banged open and Ian strode out.

“Luke, why are you still here? You were meant to leave with that girl.” he shouted to Luke from the porch. I guessed he hadn’t noticed Mina since Luke was blocking his view. I looked at her to see her reaction to Ian.

She looked stricken, her brown eyes wide and her chest slightly heaving. I frowned, why did she look so shocked.

Before Luke could respond Ian said, “Wait a minute, who is that behind you?”

Mina quietly walked out from behind Luke. “Hello again Ian.” she said.

“Mina? W-what are you doing here?” said Ian in shock, stammering slightly.

“I’m here for the girl. We want to take her back to Ahina so that she may be protected.” Mina said.

“Wait, you want to take her to the Council? Are you out of your mind Mina? You can’t take her there, she’s barely begun changing.” said Ian.

“That’s why now is the perfect time Ian.” Mina said carefully.

“Have you conveniently forgotten the last time you took an Undetermined to Ahina?” Ian said.

“Of course not; but this is different Ian.”

“No it’s not different.” Ian said. He walked down the steps and towards Mina.

“Please Ian.” she said.

“No!” I shouted. “We’ve been over this, this is MY decision! I don’t care about what either of you think is best, I will choose what’s going to happen, got it?”

“And what do you choose Ella?” said Michelle out of the awkward silence that had fallen.

I looked at the four people around me. “I will go to Ahina.” I said.

Both Luke and Ian’s mouths dropped open and Mina smiled triumphantly.

“See, I told you she has sense.” she said.

“Not so fast, I will go to Ahina with you, but on two conditions.  Luke and Michelle come with me, if they choose to.”  I said hesitantly looking at the two of them. They both nodded immediately.

“And the second?” asked Mina.

“I leave when I choose to; you can’t stop me or try to persuade me otherwise. I’m not going to be used as a weapon in this war that I know nothing about. I will go with you, but I will also leave when I choose, be sure of that.” I said, looking at Mina. Then I turned to look at the trio standing around us.

“Is everyone in agreement?” I asked them. Michelle nodded, a smile gracing her features as her green eyes sparkled with excitement.

“I think you’re crazy, which is just more of a reason why I should go with you.” said Luke.

“I think you’re all mental, especially you girl. But I know there is nothing I can do to change your minds. Mina, you better take care of these three.” Ian said.

Mina nodded at Ian an unreadable look in her eyes, “I will Ian, don’t worry about that.”

“Great, the decision is made, now, how do we get to Ahina?” I asked.

Mina smiled at me, “We drive.”