Prologue

• Dedicated to My amazing friends... Thanks for naming almost all my characters

I turned at the flutter of wings. He landed silently, a few feet behind me, head bowed. I called his name and he finally looked up, noticing me at last. I was hit once again by how truly gorgeous he was.

His hair was the colour of milk chocolate, the kind my aunt used to buy me when I was little. His eyes were gold, sparkling with unshed tears. His cheekbones and jawlines could have been carved out of marble. He was shirtless, his torso chiseled like a Renaissance statue. He was muscular, yet slim. But all this beauty was easily eclipsed by his wings, the same gold as his eyes. They rose above his head, and about 10 feet tip to tip. He smiled at me, the tears sparkling in his golden eyes. I knew what was going to happen next.

He walked up to me, his steps slow and unsure. He never once released my eyes until our faces were mere inches apart. I could smell him, an indescribable scent. I knew that smell would haunt me for many a night to come. I found myself drowning in the golden pools of his eyes.

"I'm sorry" he whispered, and I closed my eyes. Waiting. His strong hands placed themselves on my shoulders. I took a deep breath and he pushed me off the edge. I was falling, away from my family, my home, and him.