Chapter Seventy Two.

Sarah;

A week has passed and there was no sign of Negan but we weren't letting our guard down. If anything, we were more on each. Rick especially.

Today was my afternoon on on gate duty so after grabbing something to eat, I got ready to head on over. 

"Ye' know Sasha's been on this mornin', righ'?" Daryl asked as I pulled my gun over my head. 

"I do," I nodded, "But she's made no effort to talk to me. She'll talk to me whenever she's ready,/ If she's ever ready. Where's your sling?" 

"Took it off," he shrugged, raising his hand to stop me from talking, "Ye've seen the back of my neck. It's irritating the hell outta my skin." 

I pursed my lips, but nodded. I didn't want to get into an arguement with him about it, "You walking me over?"

"Sure." he got off the sofa and followed me out the door, taking my hand when we reached the end of our path. 

Rick approached us carrying Judith and I immediately smiled; she always put a smile on my face, "Hi."

He gave me a smile, "We're thinking that today might be the day." 

The smile slipped off my face and my attention was now solely on him, "Really?" 

"If they come, you come get us before you let them in. Just so we can let people know." 

I nodded, "Okay." 

"We don't know what's going to happen. What he's going to do, so we need to be prepared for anything. Are you gonna be okay up there on your own?" 

"Carl said that he and Sophia might stop by," I said quietly, "Carol too. I'll be fine. If I see anything, I'll come get you." 

He gave my shoulder a squeeze before walking off so Daryl and I continued on our way.

Sasha, obviously seeing us coming, started climbing down the ladder to the lookout post and as she went to walk past us, despite everything I had said not even fifteen minutes ago, I grabbed her arm.

"Sasha." 

She stopped and glared at my hand for a few seconds before meeting my gaze and she pulled her arm from my grip. 

"Sarah," Daryl whispered, "Come on." 

I let him lead me away but before we could get very far, I heard her mutter something.

It should have been you. 

I came to a halt again and turned to look at her, seeing her staring at me with such hatred that if given the chance, I was sure that she'd jump me. 

"It should have been you!" she said again, this time louder which caught the attention of those who were walking the quiet streets, "You were the one he picked!" 

"I know." 

"It should have been you." she said for the third time.

"I know!" I yelled, "I know he should've." 

"You don't even look like you care!" she continued, stepping closer, "You've just...you don't even look guilty." 

"That is not true," I protested, frustrated tears filling my tears, "You don't think I feel guilty? That I don't know that I'm the reason he's gone? 'Cause I do. Every time I close my eyes, I see him lying there, dead. And to know that it was because of me,"

She was shaking her head so I stopped, watching as she breathed heavily.

People were starting to gather around us now, Rick hovering behind Sasha in case she did indeed attack me. Not that I would blame her.

She stepped closer, "I wish it was you he killed."

"Hey," Daryl snapped, stepping in front of me, "Stop."

"No!" she said quickly, "She was the one he picked an-" 

"You keep saying tha' as if it's gonna change everythin'." Daryl interrupted, "But it ain't. Ye' can't change wha's happened. 'nd I'm sorry tha' Abraham is gone but I ain't gonna stand here and let you attack her like tha'." 

"Daryl," I whispered, touching his arm but he shook his head.

"Sarah didn't do anythin'. She didn't tell Negan who to pick. He did tha' on his own."

She stared at him again and after a few tense seconds, turned away and stormed off. 

Daryl stared after her before he took my hand and pulled me towards the post.

"Daryl," I began, "You were a little hard on her." 

"Someone had to say somethin'." he muttered, "She couldn't keep sayin' stuff like that 'bout you." 

"But still." I whispered. 

"Let's just drop it," he said quietly, "Please." 

Nodding, I leant up and kissed his cheek, "I'll see you later." 

"Yeah," he agreed, "Mind wha' Rick said. Ye' see 'em, you come find us." 

"I know," I muttered, "I know." 

**

Early evening came around and Carol had come to keep me company in looking for anything out of the ordinary but so far, there was a whole fat lot of nothing. 

The two of us were sharing a bag of chips when there was the rumble of approaching vehicles could be heard, making me sit up.

"Oh god," I whispered, peering through my binoculars. I could see that it was the same open top jeep he drove away in that day and I could see Negan standing up  in the back, "It's him."

"Negan?" she breathed, taking the binoculars from me, "Are you sure?" 

"Yeah. Go get Rick and Daryl," I instructed, "Carol, now!" 

She disappeared down the ladder while I leant over the wall as the car came to a halt a few feet away from the gate. 

My hand tightened on my gun as Dwight stepped out, letting out a small growl as his eyes met mine and he gave me a smirk. I could easily take him out from here if I wanted to, which believe me, I truly did. 

I'm sure that would help things.

"Well," Negan said loudly, breaking our heated stare off and I watched as he moved closer to the gate, banging on it three times with his bat and he peered up at me, giving me what was supposed to be a charming smile, "How about you come let me in?"