Chapter Thirty Five.

Sarah;

As the afternoon progressed, I suddenly realised that a few people had changed their seats. Well, one person.

Carl had moved from beside Sophia, to beside Edith and I saw that the blonde was now staring at the both of them and if I listened, I could swear that she was grinding her teeth together.

Now because she was staring at them, she had no idea that Ron was staring at her longingly.

It was pretty clear what was going on. Sophia likes Carl, who liked Edith. At least that was the impression I was getting.

Now Ron, I had noticed all of the little glances he had been giving Sophia during the class hours but as normal, she was completely oblivious.

Young love.

I went back to copying out questions for tomorrow and wrote them out until I heard them starting to talk quitly amongst themselves.

"Sarah," Sophia said quietly, "I thinkk we're all finished. Can we go?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I'll get the papers once I'm done. Have a good night."

Once I was alone again, I quickly finished up my quiz making and collected the papers they had written, tucking them under my arm as I locked up.

As I walked home, I decided to pay a visit to see Carol; I hadn't seen her since the dinner and to be honest, her food always tastes better than mine.

Just when I was going to open her door, Sam, Jessie's youngest boy came barreling out of the door and down the porch steps and from inside, I could hear Carol calling for him to come back.

"What's going on?" I asked as I entered, looking over my shoulder to see that Sam was running in the direction to his house.

"I'm not sure," she murmured, "He asked me if he could have a gun."

My eyebrows raised in surprise and I took a seat on one of the stools in the kitchen, "Really? Why do you think he asked that?"

She pursed her lips and stared out the window, "Jessie, when she was cutting your hair, did she seem strange?" 

A sudden look of realisation crossed her face, turning to look at me, "Will you look after Judith for me? She's upstairs taking a nap."

"What? I thought we could catch up or something. Where are you going?" I gaped as she took off out the kitchen, "Carol?!"

"I need to talk to Rick!" I heard before the door slammed shut.

Well. Okay then I thought and went to check on the little girl who was actually sitting up in her crib, playing with a toy that was attached to some of the bars.

"Well hello there," I smiled when she reached out for me, "I haven't seen you in a while."

She babbled away to herself, small hands locking on my hair and I winced as she tugged on it. 

"So you're at that age," I cooed, carrying her downstairs and into the kitchen, deciding to make myself some coffee where I found that she was a fan of looking at herself in shiny objects. "So little amuses you." I said wistfully, letting her take one of the utensils from me, "But your laugh makes me smile so I guess I can live with it." 

I put her down on the ug so she could go play with some toys while I drank my coffee and when I was almost done, Rick entered the house with a troubled look on his face. 

"You," he said quietly, "Carol said you spoke to Jessie earlier." 

"Yeah, she cut my hai-"

"Was she off with you? Act weirdly?" he asked, cutting me off. 

"Maybe, why? Rick, what's going on?" 

"Carol thinks Pete's hurting her. I need you to tell me what you think," he instructed, "Tell me how she acted."

So I wasn't the only one. Carol thought so too and since she unfortunately went through this herself, she probably knows what the signs and such fairly well. 

"I questioned her about the bruise," I finally said, moving onto the rug beside Judith, "The one on her arm. She said she fell but honestly? It looked as if she had been grabbed, "She clammed up. Couldn't get out of there quick enough. But Rick, what are you going to do? Even if all of this is true, people won't believe you. He's a surgeon. One of the most needed people here."

"Maybe...maybe we show people what he's like," he said, pacing up and down the length of the archway, "I'll talk to Deanna. She'll do something." 

"And if she doesn't?" 

He looked at me, a coldness in his eyes that I'd never seen before, "Then I'll kill him." 

My mouth fell open and I stared up at him, "W-what?" 

He gave me a look as if to say you heard while he picked up Judith and then made his way towards the front door. 

"Rick? Rick, wait!" I called, scrambling up to follow. When I reached the porch, he had already made his way right and down the street towards an elderly who were cooing over the little girl in his arms. 

I went to follow him but I heard the screeching of brakes before a series of cries for help and I realised that it was Glenn. 

Rick will have to wait I told myself as I began running, with a few others, to where the van they had left in was now sitting.

"Glenn?" I asked loudly, moving to the back doors, a gasp coming from my mouth when I saw both Tara and Nicholas lying on the floor, "Glenn what happened?" 

"Help us get her inside," he hissed as him and Eugene started to gently pull her from the van. 

"Well what about Nich-"

"Leave him!" he snarled, "She is main priority, Sarah. Now help us!" 

I grabbed hold of her leg as more and more people crowded around, some helping while most of the others just stood and watched. 

"Put her down here!" Pete instructed after we had crashed into his surgery, "And then I want everyone out except for Rosita." 

"Is she going to be okay?" Glenn asked loudly. 

"We're going to do everything we can." Pete said seriously. 

"That's not an answer!" Glenn yelled, "Tell me if she's going to be okay!" 

"Glenn," I said softly, placing my hand on his arm, "Come on. This won't help her." I then looked at Pete, "We'll wait outside."

"I'll come get you as soon as I have anything to say." he told me. 

See, this is why I'm conflicted. On one hand, he seems like he could be this really nice doctor dude but then on the other; I've seen the bruises on her arm so this could all be an act.