Chapter Three.

Hope ya like this. I'm not too sure, but meh. It's getting put up anyway

*Daryl's POV*

"You've really never played before?" she asked, giggling slightly. 

"I ain't needed a game to get lit before." I replied, which swiftly shut her up. 

We had found a small shack after being chased out of a golf club. We were also now sitting on the floor with a bunch of jars filled with moonshine around us since she had wanted to have her first drink. She had wanted Peach Schnapps but that wasn't going to happen. Not on my watch anyway.  

"Okay, well I say something I've never done and if you have, you drink. If not, I drink." she explained and I nodded. 

"Sounds simple enough." 

After playing a couple of rounds of the game and consuming more of the booze, I started to make me feel a little heavy and tired. 

"I've never...been in jail." 

My eyes snapped up to hers and I chewed on my lip, watching as she smiled at me, "Tha' wha' ye' think of me?" 

"Nothing too serious," she said quietly, "I just thought, you know, like the drunk tank. Even my dad got locked up there back in the day." 

"Drink up." 

"Wait!" she laughed, swirling the moonshine in her jar, "Prison guard. Were you a prison guard before?" 

"No."

Her face dropped slightly and I pushed myself up off the floor, "I gotta take a piss." 

I slowly made my way over to the furthest wall, choosing that to be my bathroom for the night and dropping the jar as I went. 

"You have to be quiet." she hissed but I ignored her, deciding that I was going to be even louder, just to piss her off. 

"I can't hear ya, I'm taking a piss!" 

"Daryl," she pleaded, "Don't talk too loud!" 

"It's my turn, right?" I asked, zipping up my pants again, "All righ', let's see...I've never eaten frozen yogurt.  Never had a pet pony. Never got anything from Santa Clause." While I was talking, I stalked closer to her and she cowered back slightly.

"Daryl," she said again, "Da-"

I cut her off, feeling my anger build even more, "I ain't never sung in front of a big group out in public like everythin' in fun! And I sure as hell didn't cut my wrists lookin' for attention!" 

The two of us looked at the covered windows when the walker that had been roaming around earlier, returned and began banging on the side of the cabin and I laughed. 

"Seems like our friend's come back, huh? You say ye've never shot a crossbow? Well I'm gonna teach you." 

"Daryl," she muttered as I grabbed a hold of her wrist and dragged her to the door, "We should stay inside. Daryl, cut it out!" 

I pushed her down the stairs, attracting the attention of the walker and as it stumbled out of the bushes,  I shot at it, hitting it in the right shoulder and pinning it to the tree. 

"Ye wanna shoot?" I asked, looking down at her.

"I don't know how!" 

"It's easy," I said, putting my arm around her neck, ignoring as she struggled and shot again.

"We'll practice later!" she cried, "Just stop it!"

I let her go, pushing her away from me, "Why not? It's fun. C'mon Greene, pull those out and we'll get a little more target practice." 

She then let out a loud sigh before moving in front of me and killing the walker. 

"What the hell you do that for? I was having fun!"

"No, you were being a jackass!" she yelled, "If anyone had found me dad-"

"Don't," I growled, "That ain't the same."

"Killing them is not supposed to be fun!" 

"What do you want from me, girl, huh?" I asked, stepping closer to her, feeling the need to get all of these pent up emotions off my chest. 

"I want you to stop acting like you don't give a crap about anything. Like nothing that we went through matters. Like none of the people we lost meant anything to you! It's bullshit!" 

"Yeah?" I said again, "Is that wha' ye' think?"

"I know that you look at me and just see another dead girl. I'm not Michonne, Carol or Maggie," she stopped momentarily, "I'm not Sarah." 

I glared at her. Keeping Sarah and everyone else out of my mind was hard, but I was being able to do it. I had blocked all of it but now...now she had brought it all up again and reminding me. Reminding me of all the people we lost.

"I survived!" she yelled, jabbing me in the chest, "I made it and you don't get to treat me like crap just because you're afraid."

I shoved her hand away from me, "I ain't afraid of nothin'." 

She took a step back and looked me in the eye, "I saw it you know. The way you looked when we were waiting...when Sarah didn't come out of the prison." 

"Yeah, well she's dead, Beth!" I yelled, "Everyone we know is dead. You ain't ever gonna see Maggie again!"

"You don't know that!" 

"I do," I sighed, turning away from her when I heard my voice cracked, "He rode righ' up to our gates. Maybe if I had stuck at it...kept going out wi' Michonne."

"Daryl," she said softly, hand touching my arm. 

"Don't. And then yer dad." I cried, hanging my head, "If I had done something..." 

This time, I let her hug me, feeling myself break down. 

Her arms tightened around me as I continued to cry quietly to myself. 

Maybe I needed this. 

***************

"Do you miss her?" Beth asked, making me look up from where I was sticking my knife into the wood of the porch, "Sarah, I mean." 

I shrugged but seeing the look she was giving me, I sighed. 

"It looked as if she made you happy." she continued, "You were always more bearable to be around when she was there." 

"Yeh, I guess tha's true." I muttered, "I'm a dick. Especially when 'm drunk. How're you doin'?" 

She smiled softly at me, "I'm fine. I feel happy. Happier than I have in the past few days." 

I frowned, remembering everything that she had went through. 

"Y'know, I thought that we were going to live in the prison for the rest...at least the rest of daddy's life." she said quietly, "I thought Glenn and Maggie would have a baby, get married. Then when it was time for him to go, I thought it would happen quietly and that he'd be surrounded by all the people that he cared about." She then picked up her drink, "That's just how unbelievably stupid I am." 

"No," I shook my head, "Tha's the way it's supposed to be." 

She shrugged and we both took another swig of our drinks, "If I ask you something, do you promise not to get mad?" 

"Alrigh'." 

"Do you love Sarah?" 

Now that, that wasn't what I was expecting. I scratched my chin and looked up at the sky. Did I? Looking back at her, I saw that she was staring at me with a wide smile, "Wha'?" 

"You do," she answered, "You might not know it yet, but you do. I can see it in the way you look at her when she's not looking." 

My hands found my knife again, toying with it as I thought about what she said. 

Maybe I did love her. 

***************

I don't really like how I've ended this, but I really struggle writing in Daryl's POV...