Chapter one.

This chapter is dedicated to my editor RunningTally

*Edited*

Ruby's POV.

"Hey mom do you care if I go out to town for a while?"

"Why should I?"

"Ok, thanks."

As I am leaving, the alpha tells me not to be late for his son's 18th birthday. I don't even know why they want me there, it's not like any one will notice if I'm there any way.

As I get to town I look for a gift to give to the alpha's son. It's tradition that everyone gives the alpha's child a present on their 18th birthday. I know that he likes music, so I go to the music shop in town and buy a CD for him. As I am driving back a rogue in wolf form runs across the road.

Thanks to my quick reflexes I stopped just in time, but I hit my head on the steering wheel. When I look into the mirror I see that my forehead's bleeding, but with my quick healing the blood swiftly vanishes. Although I can't hide the blood on my shirt, I might get away with it if I say it is ketchup. I check and make sure the CD is ok and keep driving. I get back to the pack five minutes early. Just in time to wrap the gift and put it next to all the others. We aren't allowed to hand them to him, we have to let him pick them up one at a time.

Just so people don't get nervous when it's time for the party to start.

Right on time the music starts playing and he walks up in front of everyone, says a quick speech, then starts opening the gifts. I watch as he opens each one slowly, so as to not break whatever was inside. Then he opens mine, and it's nice to see that he likes it.

Then his eyes meet mine, and I feel something. This can't be happening, is he my mate?

After the party he walks past me and slips me a piece of paper. As I read it I get nervous; it says to meet him in ten minutes behind the pack house.

I'm standing at the back of the pack house when I see him walking towards me. He gets in front of me and looks angry. "Why did it have to be you of all people? A nobody that no one cares about. I must be cursed to be destined for someone like you!"

Each word cuts me deep, I feel like I'm being stabbed with thousands of needles. I can't believe what he's saying. But what he said next hurt me the worst, and I will never forget what he said.

"I, Ethan Bluemoon, Reject you, Ruby Black, as my mate." He stares at me and I can't believe this is happening.

"I, Ruby Black, accept your rejection." He walks away. My wolf, Sophia, is whimpering. She must be sad that our mate rejected us. I get myself together and go to my room. I look around and find the bag that I had used before on trips for school. I was able to fit all my clothes in it along with my phone, toothbrush, a few snacks, a can of Coke, and my sleeping medicine.

I wait until midnight when the shifts for patrol change, knowing they won't be able to figure out that I ran away. I leave a note of course. "To my family, if you could call yourselves that, and to whoever else decides to read this. I am leaving and not coming back. I'm sure no one will notice or care that much anyway. Also to the alpha I'm sorry I have to leave but you can always train someone else to be better at fighting than I am. Do not try and look for me; I doubt you will anyways. Sincerely, Ruby." And with that I leave and start running.