Chapter five.

*Edited* This chapter is dedicated to my editor. RunningTally

Ruby's pov

I dreamed a little about my new pack and how I finally have a place to call home. I felt a presence in my room but I pretended that I was asleep to see what they would do. I felt their hand move the picture of my dog in my hand so that they could see what it was. I could tell it was the alpha that was standing there. I heard him walk out the door, wait a few seconds then knock.

I stir a little so as to not give away that I was actually awake, but I still wait for a second knock. I'm not much of a morning person but I want to see how he would react to me yelling at him.

He takes it better than I expected, and tells me he wants to show me some of the territory and to see how well I could fight. With that I give him a sly look, and he looks worried. "I'll be ready in less than ten minutes!" I'm ready in seven. He shows me a few places and then points to the training ground. "Last one there is a smelly old dog!" I yell. I hear a few others join in the race; I get there first, of course, followed by Seth and then everyone else. I hear some whispers about me beating him, then he uses his alpha voice which makes everyone else flinch. I don't seem to be affected, though. Maybe I haven't been in the pack long enough? Anyway, he asks volunteers to fight me and one whose name I don't know yet steps up.

"The rules are simple. Don't kill each other, and the fight ends when one of you surrenders. Let the fight... BEGIN!" I watch for any weaknesses and remember every day of my training. We go back and forth for a bit but I'm getting bored and Sophia is getting annoyed, so I turn the tables and pin my challenger. "The winner is Ruby!"

"You're a very good fighter, I wouldn't want to battle against you for real," my opponent says. "Thanks...?"

"Carla."

"You're not bad yourself, Carla."

"Any other volunteers?" the alpha calls. There are none and everyone looks worried that they are going to get randomly picked. "Very well, I will fight with Ruby," he says. But before he can get started his second in command comes running up.

"Rogues at the border!"

"Have they crossed yet, Draco?"

"Yes they are spreading everywhere throughout the territory!"

"Get the women and children in the safe rooms! Everyone else get ready for a battle!"

While everyone else heads out to battle I make sure the kids are safe. I have a bad feeling. I shuffle them into the safe room when one of them notices that a kid is missing. "What do they smell like?" I ask. They hand me a coat that the kid liked to wear; I sniff it, shut the door and take off. I find them hiding in a corner with a rogue walking towards them. I run full speed and step in front of the kid right as the rogue jumps at them. They end up biting me on the shoulder and tearing a lot of flesh. I'm losing blood but I know I have to win for the child. The rogue tries to lure me away from the child but right when he launches at them again I shift and catch him in the middle of the air. I throw him down to the ground but don't want to scar the kid's memory so I drag him out of the child's sight before I kill him. I run back to the child. Sophia is still in control so she nudges the child and gets low enough for him to get on her back, even though it's painful. We are on our way to the pack house when a rogue steps in front of us. I let out a loud growl as a warning, but he doesn't move and just growls back.

I let the child down off my back and stand in front of him protectively. I snap at the rogue and manage to grab skin. He decides it isn't worth messing with me and runs. I go back to the child, Sophia still in control. I suddenly hear a voice. It sounds like Seth but since my wolf is in control all I see is a blurry figure coming towards me. My wolf thinks they want the child so I let out a protective growl to warn people to stay away from him. I see one of the other people point to the child, then me, and they start talking to another person in front of them. With me losing a lot of blood and getting weaker I become even more protective. "Ruby? Please calm down, we aren't going to hurt the child," one of the people standing in front of me says. Sophia starts to understand and lets him take the child but while following them, still in my wolf form, I collapse from losing too much blood. I can feel people rushing me to the pack doctor.

When I wake up I expect to be alone but I see Seth staring out the window. "Watching me sleep again Seth?" I joke. I want to see why he is here.

"What do you mean again?"

"How long have I been out?" I ask, ignoring his question.

"A day and a half."

"What? Really?"

"Yes, now I will be right back. There are some people who want to meet you."

I try to think of who else I could possibly meet, and begin to realize how big this pack is. Then the child I protected walks in with two other people. "Thank you so much!" he says. I smile at the child and laugh. "You are welcome, what's your name?"

"Tyler, what's yours?"

"I'm Ruby."

"We wanted to thank you for saving our child," the two adults accompanying Tyler speak up.

"I would do the same for every other child," I say. The woman walks over to the side of my bed and takes my hand.

"I will never forget this, thank you, thank you so much," she says. Then the doctor walks in, and shoves everyone out.

"Alright, Ruby needs to get some more rest so she can heal faster." Everyone leaves except for Seth. "Alpha, please, Ruby needs to rest." Seth looks at me, then looks at the doctor, and says, "Fine, but I'll be back later." Then the doctor shuts the doctor for some privacy. "Finally, they all left." He turns towards me with an evil look in his eyes. I really wish Seth would have stayed because this doctor looks crazy.