Chapter Twelve

Harper's P.O.V

The moonlight streams in through the curtains and beams onto the bed sheets. The clock above the desk ticks and interrupts the everlasting silence and the breeze flows in through the open door and prickles at my skin every chance it gets. My eyes lay awake, unable to close for a long period of time and my mind races with trains of thought.

Sitting up i rub my eyes and hear the grandfather clock downstairs strike midnight. Swinging my legs over the side of the bed i settle my feet on the carpet and grasp at the bed sheets. Pulling myself up i stretch out and sigh.

I still cant sleep.

I don't know what i was thinking. Maybe i was thinking that if i was in the same building as Xavier that i would be able to sleep.  But its just the same; maybe worse.

Sighing i trudge over to the desk and pick up a photo frame.

The cool feel of the metal frame gives my hands some form of relief as i stare hopelessly at the photo that occupies it. The photo was taken about a week ago before the attack. The whole pack had a picnic. The photo is of me, my mum and my dad. Were stood in front of a lake with me in the middle and my parents on either side of me. My dads doing a silly  pout to the camera whilst me and my mum are laughing at him.

-START OF FLASHBACK- 

"Is this how all the girls these days take photos?" My dad asks before pouting at the camera causing me and my mum to laugh. The snap of the camera tells us the photos been taken and we all laugh more knowing how weird that photo is going to look. 

"Hey, I'll teach you not to laugh at me!" My dad chuckles before lifting me and my mum of the ground spinning us around.

"No, no, no, no stop!" Me and my mum squeal in unison as he begins walking towards the lake.

"Elliot Smith don't you dare!" My mum playfully scolds him as reaches the edge of lake.

"Sorry girls!" He fakes a apology before throwing us in the lake soaking our clothes.

Laughs fill the air as we now have a audience who all just witnessed him throwing us in the lake.

"Oh it's on!" My mums war cry fills the air as she races out the lake and charges towards my dad tackling him to the ground.

"Come on Harps! Tag team!" My mum shouts as she tickles my dad. Pulling myself out of the water let out a battle cry myself and charge towards me dad; joining my mum in tickling him.

"No, no. I'm sorry!" My dad laughs as he begs us to stop. Me and my mum pause.

"What do you say Harps, shall we stop?" She asks with a mischievous glint in her green orbs. 

"Hmmmm" i tap my chin fake thinking. "Nah" I say and quickly grab my dads arm pulling him closer to the lake with my mum dragging his other arm.

"No i'm sorry" My dad laughs again with amusement clear in his dark blue eyes.

"Whatever!" My mum laughs and we both throw him in the lake causing the pack to laugh again. He emerges from the lake and pulls himself up rolling on to the ground laughing. 

Flopping down beside him he pulls me to one side and my mum to his other side kissing our heads.  

"I love you girls!" He tells us with his voice full of so much love.

"We love you too!" Me and my mum shout in unison making us all erupt in laughter again.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

Tears flow down freely from my cheeks and drop onto the glass covering the photo. Hurriedly i wipe my tears from the glass and place the photo frame back onto the desk. Wiping my sweaty hands on my shorts i try to calm my now rapid breathing.