Chapter 1: ENTER: Gerard Muertez

I was running with all my might, faster and faster. The place was pitch black; the only light came from the full moon right above. It was the weirdest type of moon I had ever seen. This moon was completely purple. Behind me I could hear a chant echoing all over the place, saying the same words. “Fight, fight young boy, in the end you’ll die.” The tone was the voice of a woman, it sounded both divinely beautiful and terrifying as hell itself. I decided to stop and catch my breath. Then for the first time I noticed something unusual. A shape was glowing dark red in the back of my right hand. It was the letter M written in a dark handwriting. I knew I had seen this specific mark somewhere but I couldn’t remember exactly where. I stared at it with deep thought. “Do you like it?” called another voice behind me. I turned around and froze with awe as I say whom it was. Even though it was dark I could see him perfectly. It was a tall boy dressed completely in black with pale skin, dark eyes, and long straight hair that looked so black that it blended in with the area. He was about 14 years old and had an expression that looked cold and dark. He was me with the expression being one of two differences, his eyes; they gave a mild purple glow, making him look demonic. He stretched his right hand forward to reveal the same mark that was in my hand. “Father sends his regards and wishes you luck.” He finally said after a good while of silence. He then turned around and started to walk away from me until he finally vanished into the darkness. I had an urge to follow him but then a strange feeling came over me. My right hand started to hurt as the M mark began to glow more intensely. I grabbed my hand and fell on my knees from the agony. The pain kept getting worse; it felt as if all the bones in my hand were breaking little by little. It got to a point that I began to scream, then the world went blank.

    I woke up with a startled jump, and looked around as I was breathing heavily. It must have been a dream but it felt so realistic. With a light headed feeling I looked around, I was still on the plane and it was barely dawn. Lo9oking at my right I saw my mom and my two little siblings. They were asleep just like the other passengers. I sat back and took a deep breath. This was my first flight in my life and probably the most depressing one. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my passport to have another look at it.

     I set it down after a good while, getting myself distracted wasn’t going to help that much. Today I was flying from Houston Texas to Guanajuato in deep Mexico for my dad’s funeral. My half brother Edgar called to give us the bad news, my dad had died of a heart attack and his funeral was going to be in his hometown. I had never been there but I heard it was nice since it receives a lot of tourists. I hated that I was going there for a funeral instead for a vacation. I yawned and looked at my passport again. I read my name and began wondering again. Gerard Muertez. I like my first name but my last name, Muertez, was just weird. It means deaths, why would a family name like that ever exist? Well my life seemed filled with mysteries that were eternally unanswered. There has only been one mystery that has gotten half answered. It was the gift that I’ve had since I could remember.

     I have the ability, or sixth sense, to see something called aura. (Aura is a wave created by the soul that surrounds everyone and shows a person’s feelings and mood depending on the color it has.) This has been something that has been both a blessing and a curse so far in my life. I can tell anyone’s mood by just taking a good glimpse at them. I still have memories of the time when my mom took me to see a psychic woman so that she could take a good look at me and tell her what was wrong with me. She began to freak out the instant she took a good look at me. I remember her telling my mom that I could see aura and that she felt that something within me wasn’t human. Oddly, my mom took no notice of the remark as if it were nothing. The psychic woman gave me a book called “Aura, the soul’s true colors” and said that I should keep it. I listened; that book taught me everything I know about aura up until today.