Chapter 11

It's A Shakespeare Thing

Chapter 11

Raylin

I was in full panic mode. Asher was here and I wasn't ready yet. I was so glad that Ryan was here to stall him for a few minutes while I added last minute touchups to my outfit and makeup. I walked out of the bathroom and kissed Cassio, who was sitting on my bed, on the cheek.

"Behave." I pointed a finger at him warningly.

As soon as I started to descend the stairs butterflies erupted in my stomach. Why did I feel so nervous? I had no reason to be. I had already slept with the guy. Still, I nervously fiddled with the edge of my dress as I made my way to the living room where Asher and Ryan were engaged in a very intense conversation. My mouth fell open in horror when I realized that Ryan was giving Asher the 'If you hurt my sister...' speech. He had given it to every guy I ever dated and never failed to go against his word. Chase, my last ex still wouldn't come within a hundred yards of me.

"Ry, please don't scare him away before we actually go on the date." I pleaded.

"Sorry Ray, just doing my duty as your overprotective brother. Besides, I like Asher." Ryan slapped Asher on the shoulder.

"I'll see you later, and please keep an eye on Cassio." I told him.

"You ready to go?" Asher asked me.

"Yeah, let's get out of here." I opened the door and he followed me out to his car. Asher opened the door for me playing the perfect gentleman. We chit chatted about little things as he drove. I began to get curious once we passed all the restaurants downtown and began to head towards the more wooded part of town where the lake was.

"Where are we?" I asked as we pulled up outside a log cabin that sat not too far off from the lake.

"This is my parents cabin. I asked if I could use it for tonight. You see, I didnt want to take you on a normal date. I'm sure you've been on enough of those. I wanted to do something more original. So I thought a picnic on the pier and a moonlit boat ride would be perfect." Asher explained as he unlocked the door and let me in.

"You really put a lot of thought into this date." I looked at him as he began to gather the picnic basket and blanket that was waiting for him on the kitchen table.

"I did. My mom helped out with the food and basket of course." Asher blushed. He actually blushed.

"You're blushing. Why?" I asked unable to hide the smile on my lips.

"I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that my mother helped me." Asher confessed.

"Well, I think it's sweet. All of it. The picnic, the boat ride, the fact that you weren't afraid to ask your mother for help. It just shows that you're a romantic at heart. I like that. " I told him.

"Follow me." Asher smiled as he lead the way down to the pier.

Candles lined the edge of the pier. Once Asher laid the blanket out and set the basket down he went back and lit each candle. My heart swelled knowing he did all of this for me. Asher took a seat across from me on the blanket and opened the basket to reveal containers filled with different types of foods and a bottle of Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice.

"I didn't want you to thunk I was trying to get you drunk on the first date." Asher smiled shyly as he poured me a class of juice.

"I wouldn't have thought that." I chuckled as I took a sip.

"Here, try this." Asher held a fork full of some type of pasta out to me.

"Oh my, that was really delicious." I exclaimed.