Chapter 56

Warning: Bouts of Mood Whiplash.

Earth – Kuoh Academy

Azazel's Laboratory

Aside from the tinkering noises from Azazel and the flowing energies from Izanami and Asia, the atmosphere of the former's laboratory was quiet at best. The Shinto Goddess and Sacred Gear wielder sat across from each other, their energies coiling around the vials containing the Phoenix Tears. Sitting between the two, were two small glasses of tea prepared by Asia.

"Are you finished repairing the machine, Fallen Angel?"

"You know, you're free to call me Azazel. You don't have to be so formal."

Despite the casual tone spoken by Azazel, Izanami couldn't help the annoyed frown that appeared on her face. She couldn't understand why the Fallen Angel was so calm and collected about the current situation.

"Is the machine finished?" She asked again.

"That depends," Azazel replied, "Have you and Asia finished augmenting the Phoenix Tears?"

"We're almost done, Azazel-san!" Asia piped up cheerfully.

Both Izanami and Azazel turned to see Asia with her hands raised above the vials of Phoenix Tears. The emerald glow from her Twilight Sacred Gear illuminated over the vials, increasing the properties of the tears. Izanami, who was sitting across from Asia, was glowing with a silver-white aura, her energy transferring over to the vials as well.

As he wiped a few droplets of sweat off of his forehead, Azazel sighed and looked over to Izanami.

"Izanami-no-Mikoto." He said, prompting the Shinto Goddess to glance at him questioningly, "There's something I want to know."

"And that is?" Izanami replied.

"Do you know who Yoru is?" Azazel asked.

"Of course I do. The son of Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto." She answered, "Why do you ask?"

Azazel blinked as he raised an eyebrow at Izanami's answer, before he composed himself.

"You said that while you were trapped in Yomi," He began, spotting Izanami's noticeable wince of disgust, "You used the power of the supernatural world to observe Issei Hyoudou. So what I want to know is why you never went after Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto's son."

"..." Izanami was silent for a moment, prompting Asia to look at her in concern.

"Izanami-sama?" She asked gently.

"Fallen Angel Azazel," Izanami started quietly, "Aside from what they represent, what is the other difference between the child of Amaterasu and the child of Tsukuyomi?"

Azazel blinked again as he tried to think of a response.

'What other difference does she mean? Issei Hyoudou was born from the energies of the Sun, while Yoru has his ties connected to the Moon. Issei's naïve but well-intentioned, and Yoru's powerful but insane. Hmm.'

He honestly couldn't think of anything.

Seeing that Azazel wasn't going to respond, Izanami inwardly sighed as she reached for the steaming cup of tea next to her. Asia's eyes widened as she went to grab the tea away from Izanami's reach.

"W-wait, Izanami-sama! The tea isn't warm ye-"

Asia's warning was cut off when Izanami raised the cup to her lips, the hot tea flowing down her throat. Releasing a sigh, Izanami set her eyes over to Asia.