Chapter Fifteen: Happy Place |✔

Chapter Fifteen: Happy Place  |

November 25, 2018

Six Months and Twenty - Three Days Pregnant

My body felt as if I was moving in slow motion and everything was moving so fast around me, moving so quickly everything was a blur. My heart raced as I was told to sit in a waiting room chair by a nurse. I stared down at my shirt, blood smeared across my protruding belly as if I had just decided to roll in a blood pool. My eyes began to tear up as I looked up noticing I was alone in this waiting room, no one was here.

The thought of losing Ricardo or Ian or even Jaxon was racing through my brain. Suddenly I wish I was back at Starbucks, drinking the violet drinks and not questioning Ricardo about his wife. His wife -- I should probably contact her when Ricardo is stable, I wanted some time with him before doing so just to thank him. My hands went to my bump, caressing it as I waited in this cold waiting room.

I needed to talk to someone but I didn't have anyone I could call about this situation. I picked up my phone looking at the contact numbers and names. I thought about calling my mom to tell her everything. I looked at my call history and seen she had called me eleven times.

I clicked her number and her voice rang out, "Baby? Are you okay? I called you didn't answer!"

My mom sounded frantic, "Yes mom I'm okay."

"You were all over the news today, it said you were rooming with Lucille Justin? Baby why'd you do that I told you we could screen the people together."

"Ma, I just didn't want to worry you you know? You're already worried about so much."

"Rosalynna Marie Dominguez." I felt myself gulp at the tone of her voice, "I've told you time and time again that you asking me for help isn't going to worry me. I'd do anything for you."

"Okay I'm sorry ma." I said caressing my bump.

"Now what's all this pregnancy talk? They said on the news you're a surrogate for some hotshot businessman." I remain silent, "Is this how you've been paying for everything?"

"Yes ma'am but it wasn't like that -"

"Yes I know mija your sister and your brother explained everything to me. They explained the whole hospital mishap which why didn't you sue it says in the paper you decided not to sue?" She fires off more questions.

"Because I have been able to pay everything I need to with my surrogacy money ma, I don't need all of that extra stress." I tell her.

"I understand baby, I'm done asking my questions I'm just glad you're okay. Next time I find out something on the news though cancer or not it's gonna be me and you you hear?" She asks me.

"Yes ma'am." I say. We stay in the phone for a little while longer until her pain medicine begins to kick in and she tells me to call whenever I get the chance again.

Hours had passed, it felt like days until a nurse finally came to get me, telling me Ricardo was now stable. Lucille had actually tried to kill him, she had stabbed him in his stomach. It was a deep wound that was bad enough for surgery so I had to wait until he was stable to even see him. Entering his hospital room I quickly felt a rush of excitement take over me as I rushed to his side. I examined his face, his eyes closed and his hair all over the place. I stayed in this place for a while, just looking at him making sure he was alright even though he almost died.

"He's alright?" I heard from behind me, turning to see a now face wrapped Jaxon, his left eye fully covered.

"Are you even supposed to be here, aren't you supposed to still be in like a hospital bed." I joked.

"No, I just needed stitches and an eye exam, luckily they say if I don't get a spreading infection my left eye should be as good as usual." He explains going to sit down in one of the chairs in the hospital room. I sat down next to him, I did not know if I should be the one to ask about his brother but he must've read my mind, "I really feel like I need to apologize, I'm truly sorry for everything that has happened, everything that happened between us but especially tonight. I don't think that staying here is best for me, my brother wouldn't want me to stay. I know he wouldn't." He sniffled, " My brother is in a better place now and I just don't think Brooklyn New York is the place for me to be in a better place."

Putting my arm around him he laid his head upon my shoulder, "I hope you find what that better place for you is."

"I have an idea of the place, I think this was a real wake up call. Life is too short." He says moving his head away from my shoulder, "And, Rosalynna let me tell you this, in that apartment, the whole time Ricardo yelled for you. And it wasn't just a regular yell. I feel like he thought he was going to die so he let out his, 'I love you' he kept saying how much he just wanted to live to be with you. I think you found a better place in him." My eyes traveled across the room looking towards the unconscious Ricardo, "I hate to admit it but he's the better man you know? He has everything that you need and more and I can tell from the way you're looking right now, that you know it too. It's time for you to believe it that he wants and needs you too. Ricardo will get better and you two will raise three beautiful children together." He stood up as if he was about to leave.

He enveloped me in a close hug, "I'm gonna go, my parents should be here soon." I nodded watching him about to leave the room, "Wait, when will we see you again?"

"When I get a wedding invitation." The door then closed behind him.

I approached Ricardo's side again, his mouth in a thin line as he slept, "Ricardo." I said his name as if he would respond, his medicine has put him into a deep sleep but I need to say something while he can't interrupt, "I don't know if you know this but you have changed my life, I mean obviously because I am pregnant, but I mean in a different way. I am not trying to hit on you or anything but I do not want to lose y --"

"Who are you and why are you on him?" My words come to a halt as I turn to look at the unfamiliar voice. Looking towards her, the face sure was familiar, Victoria.