Chapter Fourteen: This Is The End|✔

Chapter Fourteen: This is The End |

November 25, 2018

Six Months and Twenty - Three Days Pregnant

The Starbucks is cozy with warm-toned wooden tables on the inside and on the outside, there are black circular tables. The soft lighting illuminates the room, behind the counter, baristas are wearing their iconic green aprons as they work to get orders out. The sound of the espresso machine playing in the background as I sit down at a black circular table waiting for Ricky since I "owe him". I do not even like coffee, the bitter or overly sweetened liquid usually used for energy only gave me a mere warmth. And from my research, your intake of caffeine when pregnant should be less than two hundred milligrams. "Hey." Ricky says sitting across from me, "Took you long enough to pay your dues."

"I am not the rich one here Ricardo," I comment playfully rolling my eyes.

He shakes his head, "I have been paying you though, so you should still have a significant amount of money."

"I am paying for my mother's treatments, my brother's knee surgery, and tuition so yes I am a little low on money sir," I said, I hadn't told them about everything yet, so I decided to keep this to myself. Instead, I told them I had been saving up from a job I had over the summer and then asked, "Are you going to go order?"

"Did you already order?" He questions, effortlessly slipping past what I said. "My favorite is the Caramel Frappe. Do you want one?"

"I can't have coffee," I say as he stands up, stating the obvious without a hint of hesitation. "I'm pregnant. I can't have coffee; I researched it," I add matter-of-factly, my hand instinctively resting on my growing belly.

"I searched it too I know how much caffeine you can have," he retorts and I am taken aback, "Can I surprise you?"

"Sure," I reply, he pushes his chair back and he heads over to the inviting aroma of freshly brewed coffee.

As he approaches the sleek, polished cash register, the friendly barista greets him with a warm smile. He engages in a brief exchange, his voice mingling with the subtle whirr of the espresso machine. The cashier swiftly takes his order, fingers dancing on the keys of the register with practiced efficiency. With his order placed, he retrieves a small receipt, a ticket to the forthcoming indulgence. As he returns to our table outside, the door swings open, releasing a burst of warm air and the tantalizing fragrance of freshly brewed coffee.

He settles back into his seat, "What did you get me?" I ask as he sits across from me once again.

"It's a surprise." His slight smile caused his dimples to protrude as he began to make another comment, "So how are my babies doing?" He questions.

"They are fine, they seem to like your voice," I say as I feel them continue to kick me lightly in my side.

"Who doesn't?" He laughs at his own words as one of the workers says his name inside. He goes inside grabs two drinks and when he comes back places a violet-colored drink with darker chunks of blackberries on top of the drink in front of me and says, "Here's your drink."