Chapter 18: The Zillo Beast

Start from the beginning

"I just go along with Anakin's plans..."

"He has plans?" His sarcasm almost seemed serious for a moment, and you couldn't suppress your laughter.

"Well, they're random improvisations," you said, then grew quiet. "I miss them, Master," you admitted.

Mace let out a sigh as he playfully ruffled your hair. "We are moving out to meet them at Malastare."

"Malastare? Has the Senate come to an agreement about the bomb?" you asked in shock. Mace nodded.

"Surprisingly, they decided to use it."

Your head tilted to the side, jaw dropped in surprise. "But, it takes months of arguing, sometimes years for the Senate to decide anything," you said.

Your former master said, "Exactly. I was surprised as well," he started, "But, the Separatist forces are on the
verge of claiming Malastare. We know how devastating the war will be if the Republic looses this planet."

"Well, I guess I'd better get some rest," you said. Malastare would be a ferocious battle. If the Separatists beat your forces, the entire front lines would come to a halt, not to mention thousands of troopers would be stranded in enemy territory.

"Take it while you can," your master said and nodded to you. With a small smile, you walked back to your quarters. At least you would be back with Rex soon.

Malastare

With a blue, flickering hologram of Chancellor Palpatine blazing at your back, you stared out at the vast droid army marching towards your troopers. Rex, being the valiant captain he was, stood with his men at the front lines. Your nerves were jumping with anxiety as you stood quietly on the balcony of Dole Giros's imperial palace. The leader of the Dugs was a very shifty man, constantly jumping sides and assigning blame. However, Giros wasn't that bad. He definitely wasn't General Cho, that's for sure.

Anakin put his robotic hand on your tense shoulder as he whispered, "Relax. It'll be okay."

"I know," you said, counting down the minutes until the deployment of the electro-proton bomb. The Separatist force marched closer, huge and unrelenting. Rex, along with their rest of the Dugs and clones, simply had to hold the army back until the bomb was dropped. But, your captain was still in so much danger, and nothing Anakin said could calm your nerves.

"I won't allow my people to become
separatist slaves," the alien leader said behind you. Chancellor Palpatine himself addressed the Dug.

"I assure you, Dole Giros, that will not happen," he said, perfectly diplomatic, "Doctor Bole states that only droids will be affected by the bomb."

The previously mentioned doctor looked up from her datapad and spoke to the Dug.

"Yes. The clones and your people will be quiet safe," Bole said monotonously. Even though she wasn't talking to you, your attention stayed on her. "We have accounted for every probable outcome."

That would have put you to ease had your master not spoken up. Mace Windu took a step forward.

"It is the improbable that concerns me Doctor," he said. Mace's voice rang with an almost ominous warning, like he knew something horrible was about to occur. But that was just how your master was. He continued, "There must be other options."

"I'm afraid not," Palpatine said. "This bomb is our only hope for victory now."

As he spoke, the massive army of droids moved closer. You reminded yourself that everything would be okay. However, what Mace said had you on edge. What was something improbable? Maybe a trooper being trapped within their armor, or actually being hurt by the bomb...  You shook off the thoughts. The shooting had started.