Chapter 14: Goodbyes

Separated

"What do you mean, 'I'm not being deployed on the Ryloth Campaign'?"

The question bellowed from your small, outraged form as you stood, fists clenched white and glaring at your former master in the docking station. All you could think about was being so far away from Rex again. That was the last thing you wanted, especially after sharing something so intimate only hours prior to waking up. You left before Rex so no one would think anything about the two of you showing up together at the docs.

Glaring viciously at Mace, you said firmly, "I'm going on this mission."

How long was this mission even going to last? Ryloth was so far away from Coruscant, and you felt yourself start panicking a bit. Freeing Ryloth would take much longer than a month, and you didn't want to be apart from Rex that long ever again. Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Mace all raised their brows as Anakin watched the altercation in horror. He was worried you'd get into some serious trouble with the Jedi Masters.

"(N), I need you here on Coruscant," Mace repeated slowly and carefully, arms crossed, and expression emotionless, "Not on Ryloth."

You narrowed your eyes, and poked his chest as hard as you could. He was caught off guard by your force. "Like hell I'm needed here! I'm needed at the war zone with my men," you countered. Mace sighed, and gently put a hand on your shoulder. He didn't glare or raise his voice, he stayed calm and collected.

"Your tendencies to become attached are exactly why I need you here," he said sofly with extra emphasis. "I will do everything in my power to keep them safe, and I know you'll do the same for the senator."

His reassuring look reminded you of your days as his Padawan, when he learned how to put up with your crazy nature. You sighed, defeated so quickly, all the idiotic outrage draining from your body. He did make a good point, and the Jedi knights were spread pretty thin at the moment. It only made sense for a more qualified Jedi Master to be on the frontlines.

"I know you will, I just," you looked at the ground, heart pounding rapidly in your chest as you tried to steady yourself. You kept thinking back to Grievous, and how horrible that separation was. The sleepless nights spent with heartbroken longing, worried Holocalls, and overwhelming fear that something would go wrong... And if something did, the GAR didn't take time to return a Clone's body to his loved ones. "What if something goes wrong and I'm not there to help?"

Mace smiled at you. He knew you had a good, loving heart. It was why he took you on as his Padawan in the first place. The Jedi Master knew you cared about everyone you came in contact with, and your feelings played a key role in your success as a Jedi. But, he also knew how dangerous it was for you, and that the Dark Side would try and court you into its shadowy embrace. Mace vowed to not let that happen.

"I do not want you on this mission. I need you to protect Padmé," he said again. There was no changing his mind. You got your stubbornness from him. His stern features softened considerablely. "Understand?"

You nodded, not very happy, but still obedient. "Yes, Master."

The old title slipped from your tongue. He smiled and ruffled your hair, which caused even more shock that you yelling. Chuckling softy despite your heavy heart, you pushed his hand away. "Mace!"

He chuckled too, and said, "Don't worry about us. We will be fine."

And, with that, he left to board his ship. Obi-Wan went with him since was going on his own cruiser with the 212th. You watched them leave. Ahsoka and Anakin walked over.

"Are you okay, master?" Ahsoka asked while frowning. You nodded, and awkwardly returned the expression.

"Yeah, I'm just worried about you guys," you said, then crossed your arms, "With good reason too! Last time, you and Rex almost died because of Anakin here."