Chapter 16: Holocron Heist

Date Night

"I'm so glad you're back," you hummed, snuggling closer to your captain. He was so warm and inviting on this cold night. Rex's response was a light kiss on the forehead. He didn't need to speak to let you know he felt the same. Being so close to another person was comforting to your very soul. How could the Jedi Order banish such a wonderful and beautiful emotion like love? The Jedi Code baffled you, and that confused wonder grew as you continued to fall farther away from the temple's teachings.

The two of you sat on your crimson couch, a thick, wooly blanket draped over your intertwined figures. You could have just turned on your heater, but Rex surprisingly suggested  cuddling on the couch instead. Of course you took his suggestion without hesitation. Spending time with Rex was one of the most important and valuable moments you had during the war. They were so rare and fleeting, but you greedily took each chance with open arms.

Neither of you had the energy to go out or really do anything, and your whole body ached from the game earlier. Rex definitely didn't go easy on you just because he loved you. In fact, it seemed he was harder on you than the rest of the men all together. He probably had been. Next time they offered to let you play you'd sit out. By the time the pounding adrenalin wore off, you could feel a stiffness in your shoulders and a tightness everywhere else. You knew you were going to be incredibly sore tomorrow.

It was raining outside, the doors to your balcony wide open as the two of you drank hot chocolate and watched speeders fly by. You nearly flipped out when you found out he had never heard of chocolate or tasted it. The conversation went like this...

Rex watched you curiously as you made dinner. He admired your cooking skills as he sat down on a stool. You smiled at him and poked his nose.

"Wanna learn how to cook?"

Rex raised a single dark brow, his perfect teeth exposed by an embarrassed grin. "Not sure if that's a good idea, Cyar'ika."

You leaned over the counter and returned the look. "I'm sure you'd be a good cook."

Rex shrugged and inched closer, gently capturing some of your hair with his hand, a light blush upon his cheeks. "I won't create anything good. Trust me."

"Oh? And why's that?"

"Never tasted half the ingredients you use," Rex said with a quiet chuckle. You looked into his eyes, and his gaze wavered to your lips.

Rolling your eyes, you said, "You just want to kiss me."

"My Cyar'ika is the sweetest thing in the galaxy," he hummed.

You rolled your eyes. "What cheesy Holovid did you get that from this time?"

"Got it from Cody," Rex said as he pulled back laughing.

"So, he told you tell me that?"

"Dared. I get a chocolate bar."

You giggled. "I love chocolate so much."

Rex smiled sadly. "I've never tried it."

You almost let dinner burn as you hyped up the flavor and made him hot chocolate. Savoring every sip, Rex was absolutely mesmerized by the drink. He had acted the same way through diner, constantly commenting your skills as a cook and talking about how lucky he was. You were so happy he loved you. The two of you were perfectly content and peaceful. Listening to the soft patter of rain put you at ease. The galaxy was giving you a small moment of normal, a glimpse of what could have been if you both weren't what you were.

"If," you started quietly, then trailed off. Rex looked over at you with a raised brow.

"If what?" he asked as he shifted closer.

"No, it's nothing," you said with a soft sigh. Pulling you closer, Rex had an arm around your waist before you even finished talking.

"Cyar'ika," Rex mumbled, expression worried as he watched you intently. "What's wrong?"

You hated making him worry, so you forced a grin and completed your thought. "If, and when, this war ends, will we still enjoy nights like this?"

Rex smiled despite the creases in his forehead. " 'Course we will."

Poor baby probably thought he said something wrong. Rex's impression in the Force was full of childlike wonder and fear. He was so afraid of not being good enough, of making a mistake and loosing your love forever. Being raised by a society of creatures that terminated living babies for not being perfect would do that to someone. All clones were afraid of messing up because they saw entire squads eliminated for having 99% accuracy. You closed your eyes and leaned against Rex's strong chest, suddenly feeling very weary and drained because he was a child when it came down to it. A scared child forced to fight in a war that didn't even concern him.

You admired the amount of pride and honor Rex felt towards his position in the GAR. He was such a good man, and he hadn't even lived twelve years. He might not even live a year longer. It was the horrifying reality of a clone trooper's life. But, you wouldn't talk about that now. You'd give him a future, a family, and the life that was stolen from him.

"I'm looking forward to it," you said.

Rex laughed this time, nearly spilling his drink. "I am too."

The two of you fell in to a comfortable silence, the only sound was the rain. You fell asleep right there, listening to Rex's heart beat. He smiled down at you, and carefully took your cup. He watched you sleep while whispering Mando'a under his breath, words that had no meaning to you, but exposed just how much you meant to him. Rex was so happy to be home. You were the most important person to him in the entire galaxy.

Holocron Heist

You felt Rex's horrified presence before you even opened your eyes. Only under several plush blankets, you felt like you were being trapped. In a flash, you were throwing your covers off, eyes still blurry with sleep, as you stumbled out of bed. You barely noticed the friged floor beneath your toes.

"What's wrong?" you yelled in a dazed panic. Your head felt fuzzy as you ran out to your kitchen on tired legs, nearly slamming into a fully armored Rex. Instinctively, you threw your hands out and stopped just in time. His beautiful helmet turned to you.

"There's been an attack on the temple," he said to you. Only then did you realize he was listening to someone via HUD comlink. "Will do, General Skywalker."

He sighed and slipped off his helmet. Waiting until you saw his face, you gaped at him and said, "What? The Temple was attacked?"

"Yes. We need to move out now," he said, jaw clenched. His hard set features softened considerablely when he gazed at you, gloved fingers trailing down your cheek. "On the bright side, you're coming with us, on General Windu's orders."

You were still trying to process what just happened when Rex face you a quick peck on the cheek, and slid his helmet back on.

"W-wait, what?" You stammered again. Mace was letting you go back to fighting in the frontlines? Someone incredibly dangerous and powerful must have attacked.

"You'll be briefed on the way to catch Bain. See you on the Resolute," Rex said as he tapped two fingers to his helmet. He was saluting you. The gesture was brief, and you didn't even get the chance to finish saying goodbye. Rex was ready out the front door.

"Damn it..." you mumbled. Pinching the bridge of your nose, you moved to go get dressed. Your body still felt stiff and drained as you hurried to get ready to leave. At least you weren't going to be stuck on Coruscant any longer.