Chapter 5: Rookies

Waiting

There was once a time when you found Anakin crumpled up on the floor sobbing. He was heartbroken in a way you did not understand. Anakin was crying because he felt Padmé's sorrow from halfway across the galaxy. You comforted him the best you could that night, but scoffed a bit. How was it possible for anyone to feel another person's emotions from that far away, or be so heavily affected by it?

The second the pain medication that fogged your senses wore off, you understood perfectly. Rex was in absolute agony, and you felt it too. His impression in the Force was like a dark hole, and your heart hurt. He had seemed fine the night before when he basically asked you out and went in for a kiss. You honestly thought he was okay. But, you now knew he wasn't. While you were forced to stay in bed by a crabby medical droid, you contemplated why Rex acted like everything was fine when it definitely was not.

It could have been for the simple reason that he hadn't actually cared or thought about all of the dead soldiers. The mere idea was irrational and you discarded it quickly. Yet, why he kept his pain disguised was bothering you. Ahsoka had been there in the room. He wouldn't have wanted her to feel guilty about leaving, so, he kept his pain in check. That made sense. You sighed out loud. But what about the kiss?

Rex was a man, a clone, but a man none the less. He was created to live and die fighting for the Republic that had commissioned his existence. He had no parents, no real "family". Each clone was his brother, and he just had to watch almost the entire 501st fall. Goodbye Torrent Company. Was his attempted kiss just something to help him forget? You shook your head. Rex definitely was not like that. The medical droid walked up to you.

"How is your mental state?" Swearing, you wondered just how long the droid had been watching.

"Just fine, though I'd kill for some company," you said. The boxy droid hummed, then left the room. Rex had also gone in for a kiss earlier on Teth. As for asking you out to drinks, the poor commander probably just needed something to look forward to, something besides living for an empty cause. That battalion was the closest thing to a family he had, and he nearly lost them all. The doors opened and you smiled just a bit bashfully, feeling his heroic presence before he had even reached the entrance. There stood Rex as the droid continued to complain about how horrible you were as a patient.

"And then (N) tried to walk," the droid somehow managed to say dramatically. Rex chuckled.

"Sounds like something General (L/N) would do," he said directly looking at you. In a single, fluid motion, Rex removed his helmet and carefully tucked it between his arm."No pain doesn't mean no damage, sir," Rex said almost smugly. You rolled your eyes. Yet again, he seemed to be fine, but you felt his sadness like a thin mist.

"So I've noticed."

Only the droid's grumbling could be heard as the room fell into silence. "Excuse me, but are there any other patients you need to attend," you asked. The droid froze, looked between you and Rex, then realized what you meant.

"Oh. Yes, indeed," and it shuffled out. Even a medical droid could read between the lines

"Of course he found you for my companion," you said.

"Of course, Cyar'ika," he said with a wink. A blush burned your cheeks when he said that Mando'a name again. You were 95% certain it wasn't an insult. "The droid came by and asked if anyone was free, and Coric sure wasn't in the mood to leave his bunk. I couldn't stay there a second longer."

You could feel Rex's pain again as he stood quietly by the door, brown eyes refusing to meet your own. "Come here, Rex," you said as you patted the sterile, white bed spread. "And tell me what Cyar'ika means!"