Chapter Two: Hidden Enemy

The battle on Christophsis was like walking through a park... except the park was full of starving Gundarks, you were unarmed, and everything was on fire. Was it as horrific as Geonosis? No.

But it was one hell of a battle.

The Traitor

Anakin breaking the Separatist blockade had been the least of your worries. Yes, it was an incredible display of his abilities as a pilot. However, it was the battle on the grounds of Christophsis that proved to be more difficult. You barely saw Captain Rex while on the ship because you were much too busy aiding Anakin with actually getting on the planet's damned surface. But you now stood next to him and Anakin in a tower north of Obi-Wan and his troops.

The clones with you were nervous. You could almost cut the tension with your lightsaber. A bit of time passed, and you looked over at Rex and his exposed head. He was so damn attractive, yet you did not see the other troopers the same way. His bleach blonde hair, even though it was buzz-cut, looked so fluffy. After a moment's pause, you decided how to lighten the tense mood. Your hand lightly grazed the soft, short hair that Rex maintained. He shot you a confused and concerned look.

"Sir?" His gold eyes went wide, and he took a step back. Rex was blushing, and that was such a cute sight to see. Your heart skipped a beat, and you struggled to contain a giggle.

"So the legends are true! You do have incredibly soft hair," you gushed, referring to an earlier conversation with your battalion. The other clones looked over with amused faces, and a few of them snickered. So did Anakin.

"(N), stop molesting Captain Rex," he said playfully, then turned back toward the windows and watched for the droids.

"I am not molesting him!" You shrugged with a grin aimed at Rex. "I'm simply lightening the mood."

You winked, and the clone captain looked away, hand over his mouth. The other clones were laughing, and missed Rex's reaction. Anakin, out of the corner of his blue eyes, watched as Rex cleared his throat and finally cracked a grin. You could almost hear the, "Hmm," going on in Anakin's mind.

"I didn't know my hair was legendary," Rex said to you, a smile still on his lips.

"It's a lot softer than mine," you responded. The tower was then bathed in silence. Those anxious moods quickly returned, and the grins were smothered by frowns. With a light sigh, you patiently analyzed the tower. It was still in decent shape, and so was the south tower where Obi-Wan waited. This planet was once so beautiful, with its crystal blue skies and towering buildings. Now, it was not such a nice sight to behold.

"The droids are advancing," one of the clones started. Your eyes shot over to the group. "I'm seeing a full battalion coming right on schedule."

Good, you thought. Your hands tapped your lightsabers. Watching the droids was a bit aggravating. You were itching for a fight. You watched with narrowed eyes as the full battalion of droids began to split. You frowned.

"Something's wrong," you murmured to no one in particular. The Force nagged at the back of your neck. It was an ominous warning, but for what? Like the clone trooper said, the droids were advancing on schedule. However-

"They're splitting up." The clone was shocked. In your peripheral vision, blaster fire lit up the floor where Obi-Wan and his men were.

With a horrified gasp, you yelled, "The south tower is under attack!" Rex mirrored your wide eyes, and Anakin brought his comlink to his lips.

"Obi-Wan, what's going on?" Anakin's voice was calm, but you could feel his horror building. Through the static, Obi-Wan's voice broke through.

"We're cut off. The droids are on to us."