Chapter 6: Jedi Crash

After the Crash

Everything was spinning. Your head pounded and pain cracked across your ribs with each shallow intake of breath. There was smoke, yelling, overwhelming heat. Rex's hand as you Force pushed him through the blast doors and took a stand against the flames with Anakin. That was the last thing you could remember. You remembered how the gunship shook dangerously as it flew toward Aayla's falling ship, the magnificent blue sky, smoke plumes mixed with the pure clouds, and the sounds of cannons. But what happened after the flames, you knew not. You groaned quietly in pain. There was yelling and fear as you felt yourself being carried.

"Hold on," he whispered tenderly. Rex. You wanted to open your eyes, to get up and figure out what was happening, but you were so tired.

"Anakin doesn't have much time, and neither does (N)." Was it Aayla speaking? What did she mean you didn't have much time? You skull thundered, a whimper escaped your parched throat. Words flew back and forth, and you could only catch bits and pieces. Ahsoka was fighting to stay and Aayla ordering her to leave.

"I can't leave them," the Padawan cried. "Master, I know if I was hurt, they'd never leave me behind!"

The darling Togruta was right. Neither you or Anakin would leave her if she was injured. That reminded you why you came back from your mission on Coruscant. It was because Ahsoka had taken on General Grievous alone, Anakin had almost died twice, and Rex nearly lost his head. Your eyes squinted against the harsh sunlight.

"I know this is hard, Ahsoka, but Anakin and (N) have to stay behind, and we have to go, now," Aayla said. She had a point. You wanted to speak, to tell Ahsoka it would be okay, but your lips wouldn't move. "There is nothing more we can do for them."

The Jedi started lecturing Ahsoka on attachments... Your eyes were starting to adjust. It seemed like you were inside of some makeshift tent. You twitched your fingers and toes. To your knowledge, they were all there. Hopefully that wasn't just the feeling of a phantom limb.

"General Secura, look. We're not the only ones here on this planet," a clone trooper said. You weren't sure who it was, though you knew it wasn't Rex. If there were people on this planet, hopefully they would help your group.

Ever so slowly, you slid up, teeth clenched and a hand pressed against your sore stomach. The spining thankfully began to stop. Aayla and the group were so engrossed with their conversation about where the natives lived that they failed to notice your miniscule movements. You wanted to scream. It was exceedingly frustrating.

"It seems to me that the people we're looking for live near giant trees," Ahsoka piped up. You smiled. She always had the most genius of ideas.

"Very perceptive, padawan," Aayla said. On the topic of perceptive, they turned and noticed you. And, you swore Rex was about to explode with relief at the sight of you awake. Aayla caught his elation. You could see her forehead crease as she eyed him. You gulped.

"I'm guessing we crash landed," you said although it came out as a hoarse whisper. Ahsoka dropped to one knee and threw her arms around you. Her carefree movements caused you to gasp as pain shot down the length of your body. She jumped away, eyes wide with guilt. Panting, you smiled at her. "Listen to Aayla, little one. We'll be fine. I'm fine."

Aayla was frowning at you now. Could she feel your attachment? You hoped not. Ahsoka nodded. To Skywalker, she said, "Be strong, master, just a little bit longer. Rex will watch over you."

You froze. Rex would be watching over you and Anakin? What a wonderful stroke of luck. Ahsoka still did not want to leave. It was killing her.

"It is time to go," Aayla said. Rex took a step forward.