Chapter 12: Wishes

Wishes

"Welcome to my humble home," you said with a sleepy grin. The lights were bright as Rex slipped his brand new fancy shoes off and walked into the common room. Your furniture wasn't extravagant, but it wasn't exactly plain and simple like most Jedi homes. The house was small but well furnished.

"Wow, Cyar'ika," he murmured, eyes wide and roaming. You locked the door, walked across the cold, wooden flooring, then hugged him from behind.

Longing for his approval, you quietly and shyly asked, "You like it?"

"A lot more than the barracks," he said with a small laugh, shifting slightly to look at your short form. Your eyes were closed as you held on to him, heart happy and content. Rex was a bit startled as he whispered, "Are you sleeping already?"

"No, I'm not. I still need to give you a tour," you said with a yawn. Pulling away from him, you gestured to the living room. "There's this room, my room, and a bathroom."

"It looked a lot bigger on the outside," he said sofly. "I didn't think your kitchen would be appart of the living room."

"It's basically blocked off by the countertops and cabinets," you said with a shrug. You dragged Rex to your couch and picked up a remote, completely forgetting about your plan for a tour. "Come watch a movie with me!"

Rex frowned. "Cyar'ika, it's late and you're tired. You should be sleeping," he said in vain. He cared for you so much, and that made your heart flip. But, he could be a bit overprotective.

"We won't get this opportunity for a long time, Rex. And that's if I'm being optimistic," you said. Still, he sceptically looked down at you, his worry evident in every way. Rex was very strong willed, and you loved that about him. But, being pretty stubborn yourself, the two of you often squabbled about random things.

"You need to rest, (N)," Rex ordered in his captain voice. You raised a single brow at him, his worried but loving expression caused your heart to pound. Smiling wryly, you stared into his chocolate brown eyes.

"Ner Alor'ad, we might not get this chance again. Ever."

Rex sighed and ran his hand over the back of his head. Looking out towards your balcony, he said in an almost broken voice, "You don't think I know that?"

You shake your head, eyes roaming his powerful body. "No, Rex. I think you get that more than anybody."

"You might just be right about that," Rex muttered. The room was cold as you waited for the heaters to kick in. With a delicate touch, you grabbed his hands and pulled him beside you on the couch.

"I'll sleep after you tell me what's wrong," you said to Rex. It was obvious something was bothering him, and it wasn't about you not sleeping. You watched as he debated opening up to you, and you felt his sorrow grow as his walls broke down. Without thinking, your fingers gently traced the side of his face, and he leaned into your hand. "Talk to me, Rex."

"Survivor's remorse."

Your heart sunk. His voice was so sad, broken. Rex's hand rose and covered yours, eyes dark and focused on the ground.

"You're a strong, kind man with an even stronger heart," you paused to kiss the back of his hand and then his cheek. Even so, Rex refused to meet your gaze. "There's no need for you to feel guilty."

"It isn't fair that I'm here and the men who've died under my command aren't," he said. Shaking your head, you smiled at him.

"Rex, it's not your fault," you said sincerely. He just sighed loudly.