School

ONE WEEK LATER...

Zay's POV

It's been a week since I last Jayden. He has been hanging around with other friends. I guess he's still upset with me and what I said the other night. At school he sits near me, but doesn't really say anything, he'll look at me the odd time. But I am also so happy that Brayden, Hunter and Emily don't go to this school, if they do, I haven't seen them yet. I've been also mostly chilling with the guys, like two days ago when the guys were working or were at school. Dally pulled me and Lilly out of school to do a fun day, but we didn't break the law, he did.

I'm at school right now in math class, a class I don't personally love at all. Jay's not in this class and neither is Lilly, she hates math so she not to do math everyday like I did. I chose math everyday because I suck and I figured that I could get my grades higher if I try harder. So that's what I did in the end. The teacher is a pain in the butt, he's not the nicest teacher you can have. He's the kind that gives you homework everyday and wants it due the next day. Like give us a break or some more time to do our homework. Half of us never do our homework, but I do mine and with help from Ponyboy or Johnny. Johnny finished school before Pony, but he's pretty good at math. Pony is too, but I like to think that Johnny's better then my brother at things.

I have my feet up on my desk as I am listening to kids talk, the teacher talk and other people just not listening and doing whatever they want. Like right now I am watching two boys trying to ditch class, they left three of the windows open, well they opened them before the teacher came into the class. They got up and army crawled on the ground, and then each time the teacher would look back, they'd hide behind a person and then continue to leave once the teacher ain't looking no more. I was ready to laugh, but that would just give them away. The two boys stood up and made a run for it, they knocked some stuff over on their way out. But they made it and they ran for their lives as they ran outside, they're socs though. Well middle class kids. A smile was plastered to my face and the teacher saw me, he walked to the back of the class ,where I am, and hit my feet with the ruler in his hands.

"Sit up greaser, do your work and listen!" He said.

"I'll have you know, hitting a kid shouldn't be allowed. Do you not know how many times you've hit me today?" I asked me, he stood there and counted. "7 times to be exact and I thought you were a math teacher, well you're pretty bad at counting sir." I said once again, that made him go nuts how I am insulting him. No one ever has the guts to stand up to him, because you never know what he could do to you. He turned around and the turned back to my and tried to slap me, but I ducked down as he missed me. The bell rang anyway and I left the classroom insulting him once again.

I ran out of his class and he chased me down the halls. I ran into some kids and then fell to the ground, he has the perfect chance now to get me. He grabbed the collar of my jacket, Jay's jacket, and lifted me up pinning me to the locker doors. I gulped as he was ready to hit me and then someone came along standing up to the teacher. He came with a group of boys and stood up to the teacher. It was Jayden and his friends, not the ones I saw he was with at football, but other friends. He went from no friends, to just me and then to having so many friends.

"Put her down or else we get the principal" One of Jay's friends said. He ignored him until Jay spoke up.

"PUT HER DOWN NOW!" He yelled at the teacher. The teacher put me down and I ran over behind some of Jay's friends as they handled him. Jay and two of his friends started cussing at the teacher to not lay his hands on me again. The teacher left and Jay shook his head, was he shaking his head at me or the teacher? He left down the hall with some of his friends, I stopped one of his friends and he turned and faced me.

"Uh thanks" I said, he nodded and was about to leave. But I pulled him back again.

"Wait," I said. "Do you know why Jay's like this?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?" He asked me. I pointed towards a mopey Jayden. He got what I mean and told me. "Yeah, him and his girlfriend have something going on right. I feel bad for them both, he talks about her a lot. But he's upset because she asked 'how long' which meant how long does she have til she leaves, because she's got cancer." He told me.

"I'm her and thanks again." I said.

"Well cya" He said.

"Can you possibly tell Jay to go to the library after school. But to go alone and don't tell him I am the one asking him to go there." I asked.

"Sure anything to make ya both happy." He said and left. He ran down the halls and caught up to Jay and his other friends. I made my way to my locker after I picked up my books. I walked down and opened my locker. I threw my stuff in and headed to gym class, where I will meet up with Lilly. Come to think of it, I haven't really seen Jason that much anymore and I'd like to talk or hang with him some time, catch up on things.

"Hey Zay" Lil said as I entered the change room and she came out. I went to my small locker and got my gym clothes out. At this school we all where the same shirts and shorts, except guys get baggy shorts and we get those somewhat tight short shorts. But it's okay, some guys are practically drooling over us girls.

I left the change rooms as the soc popular girls walked in and pushed me into the door. I shrugged it off and made my way over to Lilly, she's just sitting on the benches alone. I sat next to her and she looked up at me crying a little. I wonder why, but I will find out soon.

"What's wrong Lil?" I asked her. She looked up at me and wiped her tears away.

"Nothing, I just hate how the socs get their own way. Look at Jayden, he doesn't get treated like you and I do." She said. Referring to that Jay doesn't get teased or beat up like us two do. I usually am fine, but now that Jay left. People tend to bully more or pick on me more. I understand and it only hurts the odd time because I've been use to it for so long now.

"Jay's on the football team, that's why. They see him differently now and well us, we're on the bottom of the social castle." I said, "Let's run laps together or play basketball." I said trying to cheer her up.

"Laps?" She asked and I nodded. Her and I raced outside, passing Jayden and his friends. I am a little happy knowing we each get our time, but I am kinda also lost without him. I've always had him by my side since I was 7. But now were falling apart and it's my job to make that stop and I am doing that tonight. We got to the track and ran, we ran at our pace. She's a little faster since now that I have you know what keeping me back.

I got aout halfway around the track and then just fell. Everything spinning around me. I laid on the ground and caught my breathe, I saw Lilly running across the field to me. I sat up and she kneeled down next to me, some people laughed at how bad I can't run. That I run out of breathe easily, but they don't know about me and it kinda hurts. I could see Jay walking up to other people and telling them to stop, but he didn't come over to me. He just kept telling people off and telling them to leave me alone, which I appreciate a lot too.

"You okay Zaylee?" Lil asked me, I nodded and got up. I walked back across the field and went to the outdoor water fountains and drank some water, so did she. I can breathe fine now and gym basically ended because I wasted mine and Lil's time on me out in the field. I went inside with her and got changed. I got dressed into my clothes which are navy blue skinny jeans, plaid red and white shirt and my leather jacket. I kept my black converse on though and walked out of the gym. It's the end of the day anyway and I know what time it is now. I made my way to my locker and packed my bag and what not. I told Lil to tell the others that I will be late tonight. I stood by my locker waiting until the halls had less and less people.