Twenty One

I couldn't help myself.

The moment I had seen Harper walk through the door I wanted to touch her.  Kiss her.  Claim her as my own.  I didn't know what had come over me, but it had been days, and a week even sense I had last tasted those lips of hers. 

She fell into me easily as if she had missed it just as I had, and wrapped her arms around my neck.  Her fingers around my collar I pulled her as close as my body would let me, but then had to stop.

Hissing in pain she froze and took two steps back.  Her lips were swollen from my touch and her eyes dilated with the passion we shared, but I could also see the concern she had for me.  I had no idea that a woman like her could ever have such concern for me. 

"I'm okay."  I said, before she could look over me.  

"I-I shouldn't have let you kiss me Caleb."  She looked down and away, but I knew it wasn't for the reason of not wanting me.

"You're not going to stop me."  I took a measured step forward testing the waters.  Her eyes were in narrow slits as she excepted the challenge, taking another step back as a warning. It was so hot when she was feisty. 

"How about we go in and join the rest of the party?  Jason and my mother are talking about having a little bone fire tonight.  Want in?"

A bone fire?  I had never been to a bone fire before.  I thought back over my collage years, and everything I had done as a reckless youth and found that it was one that I had never experienced.  I nodded, stealing myself of the need to pull her back and followed her back into the house.

Everyone welcomed me with a welcome smile.  Even my sister, which I thought was odd, sense we never got along that great.  She was flushed and smiling, looking like she was enjoying herself even with her formal attire.   I was happy I had even reminded myself this morning to wear my sneakers and not my dress shoes when I decided to come over.

"Dragon!"  Lucas came running around the table to give me a hug.  I went to pick him up but the moment I did I winced and almost lost hold of him.  Harper and Lilly noticed and both moved in on me.

"I'm fine."  I said again, giving the little man a squeeze.  "Thank you for your Rabbit lill man.  Mr.-"  I couldn't remember his name and I trailed off.  Lucas gave me a big squeeze then dropped to the ground smiling.

"Mr. Tickles."

"Yes, Mr. Tickles. He was very helpful with my recovery."  He was beaming as I spoke, but I could still see everyone watching me as I went and took a seat next to Jason.

"I saved you some bacon!"  Lucas blurted, handing me a plate with at least five pieces.

"How did you know he was coming over?"  His mother eyed him and he bowed his head.

"I didn't...but a boy could hope."  He lifted his head high then went on to eat his eggs.  

I couldn't help the smile that spread over my face with his little efforts.  He was as cute as he could be.

"Where's Peyton?"  I asked when I realized she wasn't at the table with Lilly.

"She's sleeping.  She takes a nap around this time every day.  Won't wake up for another hour or so I'm afraid."

"Oh."  Lilly's face showed how much she adored the little one, and with her eyes on me, I knew she knew how much I had come to love her as well.  I loved the kids.  Peyton and Lucas.  It came like a hard hit to the head when it came, and I almost chocked on my coffee.  I was falling in love with this place.  The kids....even there mother.