Seven

I sat in a steal chair that was bolted to the ground.  Safety precautions when dealing with people in the facility.  I scoffed at even thinking that it would be that serious with Jimmy Turner.  I had been working for him for a few weeks already and knew that if it came to a show down it would be evenly matched.  One of the meany things I had to think about when working with people.

I had to defend myself in the past from clients, and I held up pretty good.  I just didn't see it coming from this man.

Leaning back in the seat I left the folder on the steal table facing open when the boozer to the outer door went off and Jimmy walked through.  He smiled in greeting, and we shock hands in a professional sense.

"It's good to see you Caleb. How are things going with my case? Will I get out of here anytime soon?"  Straight to the point he always was.

"I'm good, nice to see you too."  Sitting back down I reached for some of the papers and handed them over.  "They will be putting you on parole tomorrow and you will have to stay under house arrest for a month to make sure that your doing as your told.  With the circumstances, it is the best deal you will get until everything is cleared up."

Looking them over he nodded and slid his finger over the parchment not saying a word.  While he did so I took a moment to look at him.  I had seen him enough yes, but I had never took the time to really look at him, and I wondered what just had Harper so attracted to this man.  His hair was cropped short and blond, compared to when I first met him it had sagged around his face.  He had a strong jaw and his built was strong.  I guess he was a attractive guy when you actually saw him, but knowing all that he has done in his past was what ruined even a decent account on his part.  Who would wanna cheat on a woman like Harper?  It was beyond me.

"So I am under suspicion of murder then..."  He mumbled, drawing me out of my thoughts.

"You are a suspect for being the last one to see her alive.  Everything dose point to suicide, but we are still waiting for the autopsy report and the final result of the crime scene."

"Dose it really take this long?"  He didn't look up from the file, but his face was crunched in disgust. "I already admitted to several things, but there was no way I would kill her...for crying out load..."  He trailed off again looking at what was next in the file.

His eyes widening he looked up at me, his face turning stoic.

"Is there something wrong?"  He just stared at me for a moment, the silence stretching, and placed the file on the table.  He didn't say a word for several moments, staring at me like I had an extra head.  I held the look straight back, I could never give into a man that was so manipulative. 

"Harper took Peyton."  He final broke the silence, his voice hoarse.

"Yes, she did."  He nodded and then turned his gaze to the only window in the room.

"That woman...I swear.."  I couldn't tell if that was anger boiling under his skin or something else.

"Is there a problem."  He started to chuckle and shock his head.

"No sir.  I'm just amazed that even after everything that has gone on between the two of us, she would still take the kid."  My eye brows raised I challenged him to elaborate. He took it and leaned forward in his seat.  "She already has the ranch to work with, and then our son Lucas on top of that.  Why would a woman take on another burden?"

"It looks like she was doing good to me."  It was his turn to challenge me, but I shrugged instead of answering him.  He didn't know about her life, it wasn't my place to say anything.

"Ya know, she is a strong woman, I'll give her that.  But she's lacking in areas, and I couldn't keep my interest set on her too long."  His eyes had a gleam to them now as he looked at me, and I knew he was try to cox me.  He knew his ex wife was beautiful, and he wanted to know if I had found that out for myself.  

Not letting it go his way I simple nodded.

"Everyone has there reasons for what they do Mr. Turner. She simply wasn't the one for you.  She deserved better anyway."  I shouldn't have added the last part being his attorney, but I couldn't help but feel some pride in seeing his face redden.  I hit a nerve with my little comment.  Just because I represented him didn't mean I had to like him.  Which went both ways.

"Stay away from her."  He said as I started to rise.

"Excuse me?"  His face was beat red and he looked straight ahead.

"I want you to stay away from Harper.  She is my ex."  I sighed and walked around the table placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Jimmy, I understand your feelings, but I wont be able to keep that promise.  I do have to check up on Peyton till this ordeal is over."

"We both know that is bullshit man."

"No, it's my job."  He chuckled low in his throat. 

"Be careful. Mixing business with pleasure can be tricky my friend."   Oh if he only knew. Because I was having it hard.  I had barely even touched her skin and I craved more.