Five

I downed the rest of the bourbon I had in my glass and turned back to where she sat.  I had been here for hours, longer then she had been, and she hadn't seen me.  God I wish she would just turn and see me.

I didn't know why I had this desire so much to be in her line of sight, but it had over come me so much that I had decided to try out the places she had told me of earlier that day.  I had been asking her out to dinner, but she didn't get that with the way I approached it I guess, and just went along with it.  She was defiantly different from the pencil skirts I was used too back in the city.

Her friend and her were talking it up and downing one beer right after the other.  Two. Four.  They stopped around six and started for the door.

I get that it was creepy that I was just watching her, but I couldn't take my eyes off of her.  She was still in the shorts that she had been wearing earlier today and the flannel shirt she had was now tide around her waist.  The tank she was wearing was the color peach and blended well with her sun kissed skin.  The round of her cleavage.  Those long legs...

I wanted to bang my head on the table that I was sitting at, but re framed and kept my composure.  I never let my emotions get out of hand.  Even if on the inside I was feeling like a love sick puppy looking at a bone he couldn't have.

I just want a taste.  That's all.

Yes.  That's all I wanted and then I would be good.  I would be able to get her out of my head and it'll be all well.  If I were to have her once, she would be out of my system and I could move on. It had been so long sense a woman affected me this way without even looking at me that I had to have her.

I didn't try to move from my seat, there was no point sense she still had yet to notice me, and yet there was no longer a reason for me to stay now that she was leaving.

Walking over to the bar I asked for my tab and drummed my fingers on the counter. What a way for my night to end...ignored. 

"Hey."  My fingers stopped at the sound of her voice.  She had noticed me?  I looked over my shoulder to find her, arms crossed, behind me.  My heart did a little jump against my rib cage, but I kept that to myself. 

"Hello Harper."  I gave her my best smile once facing her and I could see her body physically tensed.  From fear? Attraction?  I wasn't too sure.

"Where you following me?"  Her eyes had lost the gleam of spirits as she looked at me.

"Excuse me?" Her foot started to tap in a uneven beat.

"Did you follow me?"  I raised an eyebrow to her question.  Maybe she had had one to many.

"No.  I did not follow  you."

"Then why are you here?"  After paying my bill I turned to face her.  I was taller then her, so coming up to her it was easy to intimidate.  Although I was very impressed with how she held her ground.  Her chin held high, she acted like I didn't affect her at all. Looking down at me while still looking up. 

"Am I not allowed to be where I want to be?  To not explore the options you had opened up for me earlier today?"  Her face began to turn a deep red.  It was lovely.  She let out a sigh and shock her head. Embarrassed. 

"Great.  Now I'm an ass."  She turned on her heel after rolling her eyes up to the sky and waltzed out the bar as quick as she could. At least now I at least knew she was affected by me too.  Her mother had told me that she thought I was quite the looker, but I didn't know if that was just her saying so to just flatter me.  I thought different now.  Harper must find me attractive in some way, and I intended to find out.  No one ran that fast if not away from a fire flickering. 

Catching up to her outside I saw her climbing into a truck. Her truck. I half walked, half jogged over to her car door and gave it a tap.  I saw her jump, but then she slowly lowered the window to give me a look I put as, trying not to glare in my direction.

"Yes?"  I leaned my weight on her car and rested my chin on the window.  Not just to prevent her from rolling it up, but so I had an excuse to have my face closer to hers. 

"Your intimidated by me, aren't you Harper."  Her mouth hung open at my statement, but it was the truth.  I wanted the air clean between us, and the only way to get that was through honesty. 

"E-excuse me?

"I intimidate you.  You're not comfortable around me. That's why you just ran away from me."  She looked down at her steering wheel.

"How could I possibly be comfortable with you?  Not only...are you Jimmy's attorney, but the one person that could take Peyton away from me."  She wouldn't look at me, so I did the one thing that came to mind.  I took a step back and opened her car door, and invaded her bubble. Leaning in close. "Wha-!"

"You don't have to be intimidated by me Harper.  I'm just a man in a suit. Nothing more."  I could feel the heat coming off her skin, and I could only imagine what I looked like in her eyes.  "I would like for you to get comfortable with me Harper, for you will be seeing me a lot more while I am still here.  And from the looks of that, it'll be about another two to three weeks."

"Ah, o-okay."  She was breathless as she looked at my face.  Her eyes dilated, which meant she liked what she was looking at, was a very good sign.  Being able to read people was something I was always good at, but it was very satisfying when the signs were what I wanted.

Realizing then that while I had invaded her space I had taken it upon myself to place a hand on her inner thigh; for reasons I was not certain, but I leaned in and placed a light kiss on her cheek and squeezed the tender flesh lightly.  I felt her shack under my fingers and a silent jump for joy shot through my veins.

"Drive safe Harper.  I'll be seeing you soon."  Her eyes bulged and she pealed out as soon as I closed her door.

I watched as she bucked it out of the parking lot and down the road, only to get into my rental and head back to get ready for another day.

The smile that spread over my lips was one of triumph. I had planted the seed, and know it just needed to grow. The dust left in her wake would settle, and we'd see each other clearly then.

~

So, what do you think of Caleb? A little over baring maybe?  Or dose he just know what he's doing? Hmm...