chapter twenty-four

Start from the beginning

"There you are!" Becca exclaimed when she saw us.

Within seconds the others were in the room too, hugging me and asking me about the weekend in LA. Niall had left the room, probably to go look for Maya.

"So, what happened? We want to know everything!" Kayla said in a hushed tone.

"Well..." I trailed off.

"You slept with him, didn't you?" Jennifer said, giving me a somewhat disapproval look.

"Oh my god, you totally did!" Kayla continued. "It was amazing, am I right?"

Thanks for the reminder that he's slept with at least half of the girls in this house.

"How was the concert?" Tiffany asked.

"It was good." I said laughing. "At least Tiffany has a decent question."

"But did you sleep with him before or after the concert? And how many times?" Kayla asked, forcing me to sit down on a chair by the table.

"After, and only once." I told them.

Kayla exchanged looks with Becca, and then I felt two arms throwing themselves around my neck from behind.

"Happy birthday!" Maya sang out, hugging me tightly.

I turned around in my seat, seeing my lovely cousin wearing nothing but a pink towel wrapped around her body. Her wet hair told me she just came out of the shower.

"You're making me wet." I complained.

Kayla choked on her own laugh, causing me to roll my eyes.

"It came out wrong, okay?"

"You should go get ready, we're leaving in like an hour." Maya told me.

"Where are you going?" Becca asked, jumping up to sit on the kitchen counter.

"My parents place." I informed them, seeing in the corner of my eye how Niall leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

He's waiting for me

"And they're expecting us to be there at five sharp, so move it."

Maya smacked my shoulder before leaving the room. I stood up, said goodbye to the girls and Niall followed me closely behind as we left the house.

"You're coming to the dorm with me?"

"If you want." He said, shrugging and slid his hands down his pockets.

"Actually..." I trailed off, turning around to face him.

We stood in the middle of the road, surrounded by the two fraternity houses and two sororities.

"I'll only be distracted if you do. I need to take a shower, get dressed, put on make-up... you would be bored if you came to be honest."

"I can always look." He grinned.

I shook my head before wrapping my arms around his neck to bring him closer. Teasing him a little, I gave him a slow and intense kiss.

"Thanks for this weekend." I whispered against his lips, feeling him wrapping his arms around my waist. "Couldn't have asked for a better birthday weekend."

"I'm sad to see it end already. You sure I would be a distraction if I stayed in your dorm while you're getting ready?"

"I'm sure." I told him, smiling, and kissed him one more time.

We let go of each other and I turned my back towards him, biting back a smile.

"Sam?"

"What?" I asked and turned back halfway as I kept walking.

"The thing you said about Maya making you wet... I hope you know that from now on, I'll be the only one doing that." He smirked and winked, before turning his back towards me, and heading back to the frat house.

I arrived at the dorm a few minutes later and to my luck, Alex was there.

"Hello, Mrs Horan."

She turned around in her chair, grinning like a fool.

"Oh, shut up." I said and threw a hairbrush at her, which she ducked away from, laughing.

"I'm sorry I lied. Barely anyone knew he was taking me to LA." I said and sat down on my bed.

"It's alright. Just... weird."

I frowned.

"How come?" I asked.

"I met Niall for the first time last year. I was visiting Ethan at the frat house and met all his 'brothers'. Niall started flirting with me as soon as he laid his eyes on me, which made Ethan become all protective and brotherly towards me. So Niall moved on to the next girl, and apparently that's his thing." She pointed at me with the hairbrush. "And then you came along and things changed."

"Wow, you met him for like five minutes and you already had an opinion about him?"

"That's what you did, wasn't it?"

I stayed quiet.

Touché

"Well played, Alexandra Clark."

"I try." She smiled proudly. "But back to why it's weird. I've known Niall for over a year and I've heard so many things about him from Ethan. He's never done something like this, not for anyone."

I smiled a little.

"And even though Niall is a jerk... please be kind to him. I hate to admit it, but he's also a pretty good guy and hell would break loose if he got hurt. Frankly, I think he's falling for you, Sam. And that's why the entire campus would be on fire if the one girl he fell for, turned her back on him."

Guilt

I'm filled with guilt

"So be honest with me..." She said. "Do you care for him?"

"Of course." I said without hesitating.

"And you won't hurt him?"

I nervously giggled.

"I wouldn't say I see myself marrying him."

"Sam."

"I won't hurt him." I said.

That's a lie

Alex sighed, smiling.

"Thank you for being the roommate I thought you was." She said and got up from her bed, approaching me. "Happy birthday."

She hugged me and I even felt guilty for hugging her back. Then she informed me that she was heading downtown with Grace.

I exhaled deeply as soon as the door was closed. For a few minutes I sat quiet on my bed, just thinking about the conversation I just had with Alex. I felt so extremely guilty for many reasons.

I was lying to my roommate.

I was lying to Jesse.

I was lying to Niall.

I was even lying to myself.

The guilt was smothering me, so I decided to get up and take a shower, just to forget about stuff for a while. And as soon as I stood up, there were a knock on the door.

I sighed, already knowing whom it was.

"Niall, I thought I told you to-" I stopped talking when I opened the door and laid my eyes on my mother.

"And I thought I forbade you from seeing that boy."

Oh crap