chapter twenty-four

Comincia dall'inizio

"You're back." He grinned, put out his cigarette in the ashtray before standing up from his seat.

"He's going to hug me, isn't he?" I mumbled, looking at Niall who unloaded the car.

"Probably, yeah." He chuckled.

"I understand it's your birthday." Louis said and looked at me. "So allow me to give you a little present."

My eyes widened when I saw him leaning in. His eyes were closed and lips awfully close to mine.

"Dude." Niall warned, suddenly placing his hand against Louis' chest to push him away.

"Okay, I assume you've already had enough of that this weekend. My apologies."

So instead he bent down a little to wrap both of his arms around my waist. I had no other choice than to place my own around his neck to hug him back. Then he lifted me up and carried me over to the porch.

After getting hugs from the boys (Liam may have "accidentally" touched my butt while hugging me) I followed Niall inside.

"When do you have to be at your parents house?" He asked as we walked upstairs.

"Around five."

"Do you want me to drive you there?"

"It's fine. Maya and I are going there together."

"Okay, cool." He nodded and headed into his bedroom, but I stopped in the hall when I heard someone singing in the other room.

"I can't even think straight, but I can tell that you were just with her and I'll still be a fool. I'm a fool for you. Just a little bit of your heart, just a little..."

After that I heard mumbling and a piece of paper being crumbled. I stepped closer to the door and looked inside, seeing Harry sitting by his desk and frustratingly tapping a pen against the table.

I knocked on the doorframe, obviously startling him since he nearly fell off the chair.

"Sam, hi." He said and quickly gathered the papers.

"I hope I'm not interrupting something."

"No. Just doing some homework."

There was a weird tension between us. He felt so distant and I hated it.

"We just got back and... I just wanted to say hi."

He got up from his seat and fumbled around to hide the notepad. Then he approached me and gave me an awkward hug.

"Happy birthday."

I relaxed into his embrace and hugged him back.

"I'm sorry for acting so rude the last couple of weeks. I'm... I'm not myself right now."

"Harry, it's okay. We're good."

Not really

He smiled a little, and then looked behind me. Niall came out from his room, looking at us.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing. Harry was just wishing me a happy birthday."

Niall slowly nodded, digging his hands down his pockets.

"I was heading over to the sorority, need to talk to Maya. You coming?" Niall said, looking directly at me.

I nodded and looked at Harry one last time before following Niall to the house next door. He didn't even knock as we entered the sorority and we went straight to the kitchen.