Chapter 17 : A Bit Of Hurting Hurts *

Romettah

She laughed... she laughed.

I kept reminding myself over and over again in the matter of seconds that I had no right to be mad at what she'll say next, repeating the words  "don't you fucking cry, Romettah"  in my head up to a dozen times as my glare intensified.

In all honesty she didn't really laugh, it was more of a patronizing giggle and it hurt like hell.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she kept a nervous smile then finally opened her mouth to speak. "What are you asking, Romettah?"

My stare was numb. "You heard my question." Was all I said.

She huffs, shaking her head in both bewilderment and nervousness.

God, this is fucking dreadful. I wish I never asked that stupid question because now I wanna leave and burry myself alive.

"Romettah, this is not a real relationship. You do realize that, right? I... we-"

I groan internally and roll my eyes at the sound of my phone ringing. Lucky her, saved by the bell.

Nevertheless, with a low grunt I shift to the edge of the bed to grab my phone which was placed on the night stand. I checked the caller ID briefly, sighing in pure annoyance when I noticed my mothers name flashing across the screen but accepted the call anyhow.

"Yes?" I answered bluntly, irritation clearly laced in my tone of voice.

As I wait for a response I look back to Dani, her lightly bronze now completely fair, her body tense as she nibbles on her bottom lip, a nervous habit of hers. Her big brown eyes eye me like a lost puppy and if it weren't for our circumstances I'd classify this vision as one of the cutest things ever.

"It's late, Ro. I want you home right now." My mom spoke sternly, not necessarily mad, but in a tone which gave off a assertive vibe that she didn't want to be ticked off.

"Alright. I'll be home in a few minutes." I assure her before I end the call.

I don't say anything, not wishing to continue our ongoing conversation and instead I remove myself from the bed and begin to retrieve my clothes from wherever it was that they were thrown before I quickly slip back into them. The entire time I felt Dani's concentrated stare on me.

After I was finished getting dressed she finally decided to speak up. "Leaving?" She ponders, shielding her chest with the bedsheets as she sits up and observes me with what I hope would be wary eyes, but I didn't quite understand the depths of them at the moment.

"Yeah." I confirm and nod, my voice low and raspy. "I think it'll be best if I don't come back either."

Our 'fling', if you will, only lasted a little over a month, and only until today did we reunite. I was foolish to assume that this time around perhaps she'd make up her mind on what she wanted, or who she wanted. However, she remains as confused and undecided as before. But what baffled me the most was how in such a short period of time I could feel so much for a single person. In no way I'd say this to belittle her; but she had nothing no other woman could offer me, the only thing she gave me was this feeling I couldn't put into words. I was beginning to hate her for making me feel so much I never felt before.

I hear Dani chuckle, suck her teeth and when I turn to look at her I catch her rolling her eyes. "You're being dramatic."