Chapter 12 : School Girl *

Romettah

Today marks the day an entire week has passed since Johns tragic death. I don't recall a single night that has passed without being able to slowly drift into sleep without listening to the sad, melancholic tunes of my mothers sobs which echo into my room from down the hall. I have never seen her this broken, this... empty, it seems as if she's desolated into a silent alternative universe of disbelief and disparity. She's never been this torn apart for anyone, not even for my dad.

John knew he was going to die sooner or later so he had left everything he owned in my mother's name. It included his house, cars and money. Both his parents died a few years ago of old age, he was an only child and he didn't have any kids so the only person he'd leave his property to was my mom.

We have been packing this whole week and donating some of Johns old things. Though, my mother is unable to let go of some of his shirts and sweaters, holding them too dearly to her heart and her soon to be husband that is no more.

She had recommended for us to move to another neighborhood not far away from where we are now but I nearly killed myself at having to pack up my belongings to move again. However, I had to be considerate of my mother. This house held too many memories of John for her to handle and every time she steps back into the house it seems like she's going to break down in a millisecond, so it's understandable. Perhaps a change of neighborhood wouldn't be as bad as I'm making out to be, any neighborhood would be better than the lonely, quiet, dull one we in on currently. Our neighbors are pretty much all retired elders whom I hear complain about their grass not being green enough on a daily basis.

I internally groan after I've pack most of my belongings because I remember today was my last day of spring break so that means tomorrow I'm back to hell, ahem, I mean school.

The next day goes by pretty slow with me counting every minute in school. The only thing that really makes days at school less irritating is that I have most of my classes with Layla. We're planning to go to the carnival this weekend since we didn't plan anything while we were on break.

I was walking out to the schools pick up lane since the eight hours of torture were over. My phone ranged in my skirts pocket and I pulled it out to answer the incoming call from my mom.

"Hello? Where are you?" I ask her as I look around and notice the buses are already leaving so if she wasn't going to pick me up then I'll have no choice but to walk under the flaming Arizona sun.

"Sorry sweetheart, I'm at the cemetery." She informs me, causing me to sigh deeply in distress. Despite everything, her being alone standing over her boyfriends rotting corpses worries me greatly. "I'm going to stay here a while so I called Dani to go pick you up." She tells me.

My frown doesn't slip off my dry, plump lips as the thought of her never recovering from this loss is such a harmful and prominent possibility. I wished she just continue living her life without many cares in the world, similar to me, but my mother and I are the opposite of one another so that'll never happen. I know that in this moment in time she is unable to cope, and I don't know how to handle that pressure.

I simply nod my head even if she can't see me. "Okay. Just... tell me you'll be alright."

I hear her sigh. "I'll be okay. I'll see you soon." She hangs up.

Long, drawn out minutes pass me by until Dani's navy blue car appears from afar and comes to a halt in front of me. I faintly see her from behind the glass window before she slides down the passenger window, telling me to get inside. I'm not sure why I hesitated, but I did. Luckily I recovered without causing any suspicion and quickly hopped in like she kindly instructed.