Equinox: Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

"Ye-yeah." He reached into his pocket and pulled out leaves and roots, though he was shaking so much most of the ingredients fell to the ground. "Get 'em." Lilly nodded and picked up everything, Mason handed her the bag, "Th-throw everything in." She tossed everything into the bag and closed it. Mason shook his head, "Open, use this." He handed her his lighter.

Lilly took it and frowned, "You want me to set the bag on fire?"

"N-no. Imitate the fire with the affinity, when it-ts controlled blow it into the b-bag."

Lilly nodded her head and manipulated the fire. When she had the flame controlled she gently blew the flame into the bag. For a moment the flame burned orange but it quickly turned to white. Mason reached out and tied the bag around her neck. "There, you'll be w-warm."

Lilly touched the bag lightly with her finger tips, "What about you?"

He shrugged, "I'll feel some of the warmth, pr-promise." He gave her a reassuring smile but she knew he was lying.

Lilly rolled her eyes and climbed carefully out of her seat and sat down on the floor of the truck, "Come here." Mason, who looked a little confused did what he was told and sat down next to her on the floor. Lilly reached over and pushed him down, she lay down beside him wedging herself between the front seats and Mason's hard body.

"Wh-what are you doing?"

Lilly grabbed his arm and threw it around herself, "We're going to share this heat and when it runs out we're going to freeze to death together." Mason nodded his head and closed his eyes. She felt his body shaking but after close to twenty minutes he was warm again.

"Thanks..." he finally mumbled, his stutter gone.

Lilly smiled and tightened her own grip around his body, "As much as you annoy me, the thought of you dying is very unpleasant."

He chuckled, "Couldn't imagine a life without me then?"

"Mason, though you are a thorn in my side and are the bane of my existence there is still some sick part of me that doesn't want to see you suffer."

He nodded his head and let out a sigh. His eyes were closed and it looked as though he was about to fall asleep. Lilly wanted to as well but knew if they fell asleep and the hex wore off and they didn't notice they would freeze to death. She nudged Mason with her knee, "Mason. Mason wake up!"

HIs eyes cracked open and he groaned. "Why? I'm tired. I had to drive this girl home today and she made me listen to ninnies boy bands."

Lilly ignored the jab at her taste in music and pulled him closed, "We have to stay awake, which means we need to talk." She knew he wasn't much of a conversationalist so she decided to start off the conversation, "Have I ever told you the story about how Amie and I got locked in the school change room one night?" Without him answeing she told him the story.

It was only the previous school year that it had happened, Amie had just got the newest Iphone but couldn't find it. Lilly stayed with her one Friday after school to look everywhere for it. Their search eventually brought them to the change room.

They went through every locker, all the showers, into the garbage and the dirty towel hamper. Amie was in tears about her phone and Lilly was adamant that someone would have found the phone and taken it for themselves.

Once she talked Amie down they went to leave the change room to find that the door was locked, from the outside. They had tried pushing the door open but it wouldn't budge, and no one was around that late on a Friday to hear their calls and bangs, and Lilly's Jurassic cell phone wasn't picking up a signal.