Equinox: Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

Mason sat up and reached out to her, "Do you still have the bag?" Lilly looked around her feet and found the dark velvet bag at her feet. She picked it up with her gloved hands and passed it to Mason. "Stay here." He opened the truck door.

"Wait!" She reached out and grabbed his leather jacket, "Where are you going?"

Mason closed the door and sat back down in his seat, "We need to outlast the storm." So he was thinking the same thing she was, "I can't turn on the car the cabin will fill up the carbon dioxide. The next best thing is a hex for warmth." He played with the bag in his hand, "It will only last a few hours, hopefully by then someone will find us."

Lilly nodded and without another word Mason opened pushed open the door of the car and stumbled into the wind. Before he closed the door she called his name. "Don't go too far, I don't want you to get lost."

He nodded his head once before closing the door and walking off into the trees. Lilly wondered what he was looking for, she hadn't even looked into other hex bags then the simple ones Jake and Hailey had been teaching her.

The wind howled outside and she swore the car moved forward slightly. This was the strongest storm she had ever seen, and for a moment real fear overtook her. It must be the hit to her head to make the realization come so late after the fact but she and Mason could die out here if they were not found in time.

Or what if Mason was knocked over from the wind when outside the car? What if he fell down another hill and broke his leg? What if he died outside trying to save them and she was left alone to slowly freeze to death over night in the car?

She was hyperventilating now, how could she let Mason go without her? She should have offered to go with him in case he needed help! What if he found everything he needed and couldn't find his way back?

She moved from her seat and climbed into the driver seat and turned on the high beams. If Mason couldn't see the black truck he would definitely see the LED headlights. Proud of her thinking she settled back into her seat and pulled the collar of her coat closer to her face. She only dressed for winter driving, meaning coat, sweater and leather gloves. Her boots were not warm, she had nothing on her head and really her coat was for fashion not function.

Mason was worse off. He was only in his leather jacket and maybe gloves? She didn't really pay attention to what he was wearing, though knowing Mason he was not dressed for the weather. She needed to stop worrying, Mason grew up around these woods he knew how to survive, they did in the summer when the Sine Anima were chasing them.

Then a realization hit her, Mason had said they turned to head to Willow Creek and they were less then ten miles out, meaning they were in Cleo's neck of the woods, or worse come to worse the hunting cabin they stayed in in the summer.

She wondered how to call Cleo, could she even call Cleo? The woman just showed up out of nowhere and offered her assistance. Lilly decided that telepathically was her first decision. She just thought of the name Cleo and said it over and over again in her mind until she was silently screaming it. Nothing. She began saying the name out loud at first softly until her voice was so loud she was almost screaming, still nothing.

Almost in tears she sat back in her seat and closed her eyes, wishing everything was a dream. Outside the truck she heard footsteps and her door swung open, Mason standing beside her. "Were you yelling?" He was shivering.

Lilly nodded her head but moved over quickly so he could slide in beside her. When he was inside the door he slammed it shut, "Are you ok?" He nodded his head though she could see that he was trying not to shiver. "Did you find everything you need for the bag?"