"I do not choose the girls." Alec says in a monotone voice.

"Yes you do." I say heatedly. "And nothing you say will convince me otherwise." Alec tilts his head thoughtfully and I turn back to look up at the ceiling.

"Nothing?" He asks. I run a hand over my face. Can he just shut up?

"You'd have to give me more proof than I have against you. And I'm guessing it's classified information." I wait for his response and I have to wait a long time.

"What evidence do you have, Darling?" Alec's voice is cold. I turn to look at him and flinch to see him standing beside my bed. My eyes fix on his and I notice the darker look in them.

"You moved the girls clasps today."

"So you're saying I choose girls based on one event that could have been a malfunction of the machinery?" I go to tell him more examples but he continues talking. "It is sad, that My Love, had to die in such a way. But it wasn't my fault."

"It's not your fault? You're the one who-"

"I should have you eliminated!" Alec roars at me and I shrink back into the bed. My hand goes to my throat, remembering when he'd choked me on his own bed. Alec notices the movement, but he remains a dark and formidable force above me, bristling in rage. "I told you that if you told anyone about what happened at night you would be-"

"I didn't! I didn't tell Trisha anything!" I get my voice back as he threatens to kill me. Sure, if I actually had, then maybe I would understand, but I didn't do it and he had no right to accuse me of such a thing.

"Really? So what was the note at dinner, Darling?" He dares me to answer and I rise to the taunt.

"I had nothing to do with that."

"So you're saying that it was Makayla who made up a lie? But if you knew nothing about it, it wouldn't make sense to hand it to you. Unless she was doing it so openly on purpose." I can't tell if he's talking himself through it or giving me an explanation but either way his eyes are a daunting cold grey that makes me freeze. "Did she give you another note?" He asks. My eyes grow wide. Alec growls and his hands pin me to the bed.

"Let me-" he covers my mouth with his hand. I feel so utterly small beneath him and he grins. One of his hands hold my arms above my head, his other covers my mouth and I'm too weak to try to struggle against him. He knows I'm weak.

"You will tell me who wrote the note, exactly what it said, and you will tell me the truth." He looks me over quickly before releasing my mouth. "Speak."

"I refuse to tell you." I spit in his face. My saliva drips down his cheek and Alec takes a deep breath in before wiping it off with his free hand. I feel fear settle in, but I don't regret my decision to keep quiet.

"Darling," he smiles warmly at me, "I don't know who you think you're saving. But you're only lying to yourself." Alec waits for my reaction but my brain is on overload. I thought that about Trisha earlier in the bathroom. This is a coincidence right? "So, I'm going to give you a second chance to tell me who wrote the note, and what they said."

"I'm not going to be the reason they're dead tomorrow." I say firmly. Alec chuckles. He shakes his head with that wicked smile on his face.

"Darling, you don't understand how this works do you. I know it's one of the three, and while I'm pretty sure I know which one it is, I also know whose death would effect you the most. Conspiracy to help stop the eliminations results in an elimination and if I say it's someone, it is." He waits for my response and I can't speak. "I'd suggest you cooperate or else you might be seeing a pretty blonde head hanging lifelessly on a useless neck."

"You're a monster." I say, awed at his monstrosity. Alec smirks.

"No. I just know how to get what I want out of people. Now, please, delight me in who wrote this note." Alec is irritated with me and now I had to choose between Makayla or Trisha and while the choice was easy enough, if Trisha was killed next the girls would definitely think I'm working with Alec. I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"I can't." I whisper. Tears prick at the back of my eyes. Alec hums in response and I feel him get off of me. My heart beat is thudding so wildly in my chest.

"So you're choosing the life of the one who truly hates you over the one who has only hit you once." Alec's voice slices through me and the tears come out.

"If you know who it is why are you making me choose?"

"Because, as I told you Darling, I don't choose girls, and I'm not about to give you evidence that I do."

"I know you choose."

"Give me evidence."

"You forcing me to choose someone's life, and only having certain girls to choose from has its own version of you choosing a girl. If it were really up to me you would have offered all the girls, not two."

"That's a complicated argument." He says calmly.

"But it's valid." I feel my temper shortening. 

"Darling, I do believe you are tired and you should get some sleep."

"It's funny how you avoid the argument when you know I'm right."

"I'd suggest you go to sleep now." Alec says again.

"Why? What are you trying to-" I go to finish my question when the door starts to open. Alec climbs on top of me and brings his face dangerously close to mine.

"Don't speak." He orders.

"Why are you in her room?" The voice of my guard reaches my ears.

"Pleasing myself." Says Alec with contempt. I feel revulsion rush through me but I remain silent.

"You're not supposed to be in their rooms." The guard sounds tense and I wonder why.

"Yes, and neither are you." Alec says back swiftly. "Now if you'll excuse me-" He leans over me and brings his face close to mine once more.

"Get off her!" The guard steps closer, but he seems to be restraining himself. "You know the rules."

"The rules?" Alec snarls. I feel afraid even though his anger isn't directed at me. "Don't talk to me about rules."

"You're interrupting her-"

"So are you." Alec snarls. The guard clenches his fist and then leaves on a twist of a heel. "He's going to come back." Alec whispers. He sighs. "And I'm afraid he'll bring someone else. I'm sorry this has to happen to you, Darling, but now is the time that I must ask you of something. We made a deal last night, I told you I wasn't going to ask it of you yet?"

"I remember." I say quietly.

"I need you to kiss me. If your lips aren't swollen when he sees you, he'll know I'm lying." The thought of kissing Alec made my stomach churn.

"I-"

"Please, Darling. This is life or death for both you and me." The pleading note in his voice scared me more than his anger ever had. Alec was afraid of whoever was going to come. "Please." He whispers. I nod and then Alec gently places his lips on mine.