t w e n t y

Dan
He wanted to know, but at the same time he really didn't. His thoughts were somewhere between knowledge being power and ignorance being bliss. They were contradicting each other greatly.

It'd been hours since Phil left, and he had no idea where he could've gone off to, surely talking to Tyler wouldn't have taken that long - he'd heard he was a gossip but it was getting ridiculous now.

As if on queue, Phil appeared by Dan's door.

"Tyler's ability doesn't allow him to read into the futures of individuals, but him and Zoe took me to this psychic girl named Dodie, so we've got our answers."

"And?" Dan prompted Phil to tell him what he'd found out.

"Well there's good news and there's bad news," Phil told him as he walked into Dan's room.

"Which do you want to hear first?"

"Give me the good news first." he answered.

"The good news - we most likely do share a power and we'll get that in about two weeks if what she says is true. But I still have no idea what the power is going to be."

Dan couldn't decide if that was actually a good thing - in all fairness Phil was a decent person, if he had to choose a person to be eternally connected to then he'd probably choose him. Not that that meant they were friends in his opinion.

"What's the bad news then?"

"We've got quite a lot of bad news unfortunately - I'd take a seat if I were you, we'll be here a while because I'm awful at explaining things."

Of course the majority of the news would be bad, that was typical.

"From what I can remember, everything kinda falls apart for us after we get our power. Our relationship changes for the worst - which is pretty upsetting since we were just becoming friends -"

"Acquaintances," Dan corrected him.

"Just give it up!" Phil responded.

"Now back to the story, according to Dodie, the only way for us to get back to where we were is if we find a fair solution to our problems, but apparently you're going to be stubborn and refuse to compromise so I may have to do it myself."

Stubbornness was Dan's speciality after all.

"Then she was rambling on about betrayal and that we're in some sort of danger, I remember her saying one of our friends and one of our enemies are going to join forces or something like that."

"That doesn't make sense - I don't have any friends, you don't have any enemies, meaning it's impossible for us to have the exact same friends and enemies. How can two entities join forces if they don't exist in the first place?"

"Well, she did say there'll be a lot of changes in the near future so I'm not listing anything as impossible right now."

Dan waited for Phil to say something else, that couldn't be all he knew, he had to have known at the name of at least one of the people - something that was useful to them.

"Oh, that's all I know. Some kid called Robert came and interrupted us, that 'clouded the spiritual aura' so she couldn't see anything else. But he did give me free food so I can't say I'm mad at him. Half was supposed to be for you but I was really hungry - sorry,"

Dan recalled someone named Robert, from what he knew he didn't take anything seriously and spent most of his time drawing people's faces with stupid expressions and exaggerated facial features or singing songs that could definitely use some work - he couldn't rhyme all that well.

"Though she couldn't help us anymore, she did say her and her friends would look out for anything suspicious and told me that we'd be the first to know if they find something. Now we have allies."

Alliances never were the types of things Dan invested his time into, he'd always suspected they'd turn against him in some twisted change of events. Judging by what Dodie had said, he wasn't incorrect in his theories either.

"What are we going to do then?" Dan asked after a brief silence.

"All that we can do: wait,"

Dan wasn't the type of person who believed in fate, that everything would fall into place at its own accord, so knowing he had no power whatsoever over the situation he'd found himself in made himself feel a little irate to say the least.

Perhaps he'd turned into a control freak over the years, that was his own fault. But image came with a price, and a thirst for power wasn't the worst thing he could think of having in exchange. Though for all he knew, that side of him could worsen or be irradiated completely within a week, in a month.

There seemed to be a list of things that are possibly going to change at a time not too far from the present day, it was increasing constantly every time he thought about it, perhaps himself was another item he could add to the record.